- PENGASSAN has joined the call for the resignation of President Buhari's security chiefs
- The oil union said the security chiefs have failed in their duty to effectively tackle insecurity
- Recall that Nothern leaders, however, rejected the call for the sack of the security chiefs chiefs
The pressure on Nigeria's security chiefs to resign their positions intensified on Monday, February 3, as the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) made a similar call.
The union said it aligns itself with the position of the National Assembly which had earlier demanded the resignation of the security chiefs
Channels TV reports that a statement signed by PENGASSAN's general secretary, Lumumba Okugbawa, said the security chiefs have failed in their duty to effectively tackle insecurity in the country.
It also called on President Muhammadu Buhari to declare a state of emergency on the country's security.
Meanwhile, respected leaders in the north have thrown their weight behind President Buhari and his security chiefs.
The leaders under the aegis of the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) gave their support in the wake of the criticisms of the Buhari administration over the growing security challenges.
They urged the president and the security chiefs to remain focused on their war against the Boko Haram insurgency and other security challenges rocking the country.
In a similar development, a traditional ruler in Osun state, the Olowu of Kuta, Oba Adekunle Oyelude Makama, Tegbosin 11, has advised the National Assembly and Nigerians calling for the sack of the security chiefs to have a rethink.
Legit.ng reports that the monarch said the Nigerian security situation in the country called for holistic appraisal instead of quick-fix.
Olowu in a statement issued by his media office on Thursday, January 30, said the call seemed to be hasty and transferred aggression to the security chiefs who have sacrificed a lot to defend the territorial integrity and the internal security of the country.
Also, former military administrator of Lagos state, Brigadier General Buba Marwa (retired) has said that retired military officers in the country are solidly behind troops fighting insurgency battle in the northeast notwithstanding the complaints and in some cases, distractions against the nations’ gallant military.
Speaking as a guest of the 2019 West African Social Activities (WASA) of the Army Headquarters Garrison which held at Mogadishu Cantonment at the weekend, General Marwa whose community, Michika, in Adamawa state has witnessed Boko Haram attacks, noted that troops were fighting under difficult conditions like bad weather, marshy terrain, and mines laden stretches of land.
The retired general said: “We retired officers appreciate the difficulty of the counter-insurgency operation. We recognize the difficulty, commitment, and doggedness, as well as sacrifices of our troops."
"Please be aware and know that we retired officers are 100% with you and are ready at all times to offer our advice if needed in tackling the counter-insurgency operation. We also appreciate the widows and their families for the sacrifices," General Marwa said.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.
Buhari should put an end to banditry, unrest in Zamfara - Nigerians cry | Legit TV