- The United States of America says it placed a travel ban on Nigerians because the country did not meet its Global Travel Security Bar
- Homeland Security revealed this in a statement which released on Friday, January 31
- The US noted that the criteria for entering the US was raised by President Trump through an Executive Order in 2017 but Nigeria did not meet the new standards set
The United States of America has explained why it placed a travel restriction on Nigeria and five other countries.
The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said in a statement that the acting secretary CHd F. Wolf explained the ban was in line with the Executive Order 13780 signed by President Donald Trump in 2017.
According to the Order, the global travel security bar was raised by the US and countries had to meet the new standard.
The DHS stated that on Nigeria's part, the country "does not comply with the established identity-management and information-sharing criteria assessed by the performance metrics.
"Suspension of entry for Immigrants, except as Special Immigrants whose eligibility is based on having provided assistance to the U.S. Government."
Previously, it was reported that the administration of Trump on Friday, January 31, imposed a visa ban on Nigeria.
Apart from Nigeria, the ban also affected Eritrea, Myanmar and Kyrgyzstan. With this ban, citizens from the affected countries will not be allowed to apply for visas to immigrate to the U.S.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
According to the Trump administration, the affected countries did not comply with the U.S. minimum security standards or cooperate to prevent illegal immigration.
The Nigerian government had earlier reacted to the US' move when the initial reports of the travel ban emerged in January.
Information minister Lai Mohammed, said in London during an interview session with Reuters on Monday, January 27 that the ban by the US is ill-conceived.
Mohammed said the Nigerian government would respond comprehensively if and when the ban eventually happens.
The government has yet to comment since the ban was confirmed on Friday night.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.
Abaribe asks President Buhari to resign, Nigerians react - on Legit TV