Maurizio Sarri: Juve boss expresses affection for Napoli despite 2-1 defeat

Maurizio Sarri: Juve boss expresses affection for Napoli despite 2-1 defeat

Maurizio Sarri has risked the wrath of Juventus fans after openly admitting he was happy to lose against his former side Napoli on Sunday night, January 26.

The Italian manager made a beautiful reunion with his former side but the return ended in a bad note for the Old Lady as they suffered their first defeat of the new year.

Napoli ended a run of three straight Serie A defeats by outsmarting league leaders Juventus 2-1 on Sunday at the San Paolo Stadium.

Piotr Zielinski broke the deadlock in the 63rd minute after a goalless first half and with four minutes left to play Lorenzo Insigne made it 2-0 after being set up by Jose Callejon.

Cristiano Ronaldo scored in the eighth consecutive game late into stoppage time but it was too late as Maurizio Sarri suffered a defeat in his return to his former club.

Ex-vice president Atiku and his son engage in Twitter banter after Arsenal's 2-1 loss to Chelsea (see reactions)

Juventus 2-1 loss to Napoli means the Old Lady have now been beaten twice in the league and failed to pick up any point on a weekend second-placed Inter Milan dropped points after a 1-1 draw against Cagliari.

After the defeat, Sarri who spent three years as Napoli boss before joining Chelsea in 2018, said he still loves the southern Italian club and was glad that he lost against his former employers.

“Napoli represented a special moment in my life and it’s always pleasing and emotional to be back here,” Sarri said.

“I am happy for the lads, as I will always be fond of them. If you have to lose, I guess I’d rather it be here to help Napoli get out of their current problems.''

Meanwhile, Ronaldo's 90th-minute strike saw him score his 20th goal for an eighth consecutive league match, a feat only achieved in Juventus by legendary striker David Trezeguet.

Jose Mourinho makes stunning statement about Lampard after win against Wolves

PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group 'Naija Football Fan Zone

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that Pablo Mari's anticipated move to Arsenal seems to be inching towards a collapse after the Premier League side reportedly failed to fulfil their own part of the deal.

The Spanish centre back, who joined Brazilian top side Flamengo from Manchester City, had earlier confirmed he would be joining the West London side in days coming.

Mari completed his medical on Saturday, January 25, but the emerging report claims the deal may hit the rock with less than four days to the end of the January transfer.

Sadio Mane doesn't care about worldly things - Liverpool loanee Taiwo Awoniyi | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng News

Online view pixel