NAF reacts over Kaduna bandit attack, reveals number of soldier killed

NAF reacts over Kaduna bandit attack, reveals number of soldier killed

- NAF has reacted over Kaduna bandit attack that occurred on Thursday, January 9

- Report had it that 4 soldiers were killed in the attack

- But NAF, however, noted that only soldier fell during the bandit attack

Barely twenty-hours after some bandits attacked soldiers in Unguwan Yako in Buruku along the Kaduna-Birnin Gwari road, the Nigerian Air Force has confirmed the incident.

Daily Trust reports that NAF insisted that one not four of its personnel were killed as being reported in the media.

Legit.ng gathered that the newspaper noted that it had earlier gathered from a source that four soldiers were killed in the attack which occurred at 3pm on Thursday, January 9.

According to the the report, a source who pleaded anonymity had said: “The bandits came out in large numbers and attacked the soldiers who were in the area to keep the peace following series of attacks by bandits.

Read also

6 days after attack on police in Delta, 5 persons arrested

“They killed four soldiers and set their vehicles ablaze and while the attack was going on, a war plane attacked the bandits and dropped bombs killing many bandits on the spot.”

NAF reacts over Kaduna bandit attack, reveals number of soldier killed
Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar
Source: UGC

Reacting to the attack, the NAF director of public relations and information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, in a statement issued on Friday, January 10, said troops of the 271 NAF detachment, Birnin Gwari, foiled an ambush set up by over 70 armed bandits at Ungwan Yako along the Kaduna-Birnin Gwari road in Kaduna state.

He said: “The gallant troops were able to fight their way through the ambush to the side of Birnin Gwari killing several bandits in the process.

“Unfortunately, one NAF personnel paid the supreme price in the process while some sustained varying degrees of injury.

“The deceased airman, Aircraftman Mukhtar Ibrahim, is scheduled to be buried on Friday in accordance with Islamic rites while the injured personnel are currently receiving treatment at the NAF Hospital in Kaduna.”

Read also

Leaders of Kogi community attacked by bandits visit Yahaya Bello

He expressed the condolences of the Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, on behalf all officers, airmen, airwomen and civilian staff of the NAF to the family of the fallen hero and prayed that the Almighty grants his soul peaceful repose.

Daramola quoted the CAS as urging all NAF personnel to remain resolute and continue to work assiduously, in synergy with sister services and other security agencies, to rid the northwest of all criminal elements.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Boko Haram insurgents abducted four soldiers and two policemen during an attack in Yobe state.

It was gathered that sources said the terrorists were dressed in military uniforms when they attacked the security officers in an ambush near Auno village on Damaturu-Maiduguri road.

Read also

Breaking: US media claims Iran mistakenly shot down Ukraine jet

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.

Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel