- Iranian forces launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against two military bases in Iraq housing U.S forces
- The al-Asad airbase in western Iraq was hit by at least six missiles on Tuesday, January 7
- There is no official word yet on the number of casualties and injured
Iran has launched more than a dozen missiles at two Iraqi bases that house United States of America troops in retaliation for the American airstrike that killed top Iranian General Qasem Soleimani last week.
A US official told CNN that there were no initial reports of any US casualties, but an assessment of the impact of the strikes is underway.
A preliminary report indicated there were Iraqi casualties, but Iraqi security officials later told CNN there were no casualties among Iraqi security forces.
The number of casualties and whether the individuals were killed or wounded were not immediately clear as there is no official word yet.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the best news on Nigeria's #1 news app
U.S Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper met with President Donald Trump at the White House following the attack.
Trump has already reacted to the incident via Twitter:
The foreign minister of Iran said the act was for self-defence:
The Guardian reports that British forces are on standby to respond to as the crisis escalates.
Meanwhile, some Iranians have alleged that they are being harassed by the U.S border officials amid diplomatic tensions between both countries.
Several travellers of Iranian heritage told BBC News they faced inappropriate questions about their views on the situation.
Around 60 Iranians and Iranian-Americans said they were stopped for up to seven-and-a-half hours on Sunday, January 5 while trying to cross into the U.S at a border crossing near Washington.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better
Libya returnee gets new lease of life after Legit tv report | Legit TV