- The Nigerian military has repelled an attack by Boko Haram fighters in Borno state
- The terrorists had made attempts to occupy a base previously occupied by Chadian troops
- The Chadian troops last week withdrew from the located at Monduno sector 3 in Borno state
A report by The Cable indicates that Boko Haram fighters are currently engaging soldiers in a gun battle at Monguno sector 3 base in Borno state.
According to the report, the base was occupied by some of the 1200 Chadian troops who pulled out of Nigeria recently.
At least two military sources quoted in the report confirmed that the base is currently under attack.
“The terrorist stormed the town around 7pm; they came with many gun trucks and the battle is ongoing,” one of the sources said.
“It is true that the base is under attack,” another source said.
Meanwhile, an updated report stated that the Nigerian military has overpowered the terrorists after hours of gun battle.
The insurgents were said to have stormed the base around 7pm after which a gun battle ensued.
The Nigerian Air Force joined their counterparts in the army in the battle, forcing the Boko Haram fighters to beat a retreat.
Recall that Boko Haram insurgents on Monday, January 6, ambushed the convoy of the theatre commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Olusegun Adeniyi.
General Adeniyi survived the attack which took place few kilometres away from Jakana around 7:20pm while on his way back to Maiduguri after a visit to troops who were recently deployed to the area.
The troops however foiled the attack and neutralized some of the terrorists in the process.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| - on Legit TV