- Governor Zulum has commended Nigerian Army for its swift investigation into allegations of extortion by soldiers
- The governor had on Monday, January 6, accused soldiers of extorting N1000 from travellers who could not provide national ID cards
- After Zulum's encounter with the security, the army headquarters vowed that it would investigate the allegation
Less than twenty-four hours after he lambasted the combined military and police operatives for extorting travellers on Maiduguri-Damaturu highway, Governor Babagana Zulum of Borno state has paid tribute to headquarters of the Nigerian Army for the swiftness with which it announced its readiness to investigate the allegation.
Legit.ng reports that Zulum spoke in reaction to a statement issued on the night of Monday, January 6, by the coordinator of the Army’s operations’ media, Colonel Aminu Iliyasu.
The governor, in a statement released by his spokesman, Isa Gusau, said the speedy response from the army headquarters reaffirmed what every Nigerian already knows about the exceptional leadership credentials of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, and many others that have done so much for Borno and Nigeria.
The statement read: “Governor Zulum is very pleased with the swift action from the Army headquarters and by implication, headquarters of Operation Lafiya Dole.
"The decision to immediately investigate some conducts around Njimtilo in the course of (the absolute necessity to search vehicles for security purpose) only reaffirms what all Nigerians already do of the exceptional leadership style of the Chief of Army Staff, leadership of the theatre commander of Operation Lafiya Dole and many officers and men that have given so much in trying to find peace in Borno."
According to the statement, Governor Zulum’s encounter with security officials around Njimtilo on Monday, January 6, happened spontaneously, adding that he was on his way to Jakana to meet citizens over a recent attack by insurgents.
"Going to Jakana required the governor’s convoy passing through Njimtilo. As someone who took an oath to serve the people of Borno state under every situation, he could not drive past the gridlock he saw around Njimtilo, hence he needed to step in.
Akeredolu's commissioner reacts to alleged herdsmen invasion of Ondo community, issues clarification
“Nevertheless, yesterday’s encounter does not and will not change the very high regard the governor has for all the security personnel operating in Borno, particularly soldiers who give up their lives and safety in finding peace for Borno," he said.
Gusau said that his principal acknowledges and respects the sacrifices of the soldiers and the fact that they put their lives on the line operating in high ways, where insurgents try to ambush them.
He said: "The governor recognizes all of these and the fact that the military needs and deserves his support and the support of all citizens.
"However, he also knows that civil-military cooperation will be better enhanced when certain conducts of few are addressed in other to preserve and protect the integrity of majority of security personnel who not only do the right things but make the ultimate sacrifices of giving up their lives for Borno citizens while others abandon their families for months and years fighting at the front lines."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the security personnel of the Nigeria military and police were accused of collecting bribes of N1000 from travellers who did not have national identity cards in Borno state.
It was reported that the allegation was made on Monday, January 6, by the state governor, Babagana Zulum.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| - on Legit TV