- There was a fire incident in Ogbete main market in Enugu state on Friday, January 3
- The fire started in a foam shop that went up in flames and affected nearby structures
- However, the inferno was quenched by fire extinguishers used by some shop owners and traders
Tragedy struck at the popular Ogbete main market in Enugu state on Friday, January 3, after a fire outbreak which started in a foam shop destroyed some structures and properties.
However, the flames were put out by traders and shop owners who intervened using fire extinguishers before the arrival of the fire service in the state, The Nation reports.
The chief fire officer in Enugu, Okwudiri Ohaa, was thankful to the traders who had the presence of mind and braveness to quench the inferno.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reporetd that many properties were destroyed on Thursday, January 2, when fire gutted the home of a former Senate president, David Mark, in Otukpo town, Benue state.
Several belongings destroyed by the inferno included two ambulance vehicles as well as over 15 motorcycles parked in the premises. Witnesses disclosed that fire spread from a nearby bush bordering the fence of the ex-senate president’s residence.
"It was reported that fire was so intense that efforts made by domestic workers to control the inferno failed before the arrival of the state fire service in Otukpo.
"We made every effort to quench the fire but the more we tried the more it continued to spread. It was when we noticed that we could not stop it from engulfing the guest house that we called in the fire service,” one of the domestic workers who preferred anonymity said.
At the time of this report was published, none of the family members has yet commented on the matter even as it was learnt that Mark himself was away from home.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Lagos Fire: This outbreak has now become a yearly 'sacrifice' - traders lament| Legit TV