- Serena Williams has been declared the female athlete of the entire decade
- The popular world-renowned tennis player has had amazing achievements, that a runner up for the decade award called her an idol
- Serena is known for brilliant performances even in her toughest moments
Popular tennis player Serena Williams has been named the Associated Press’ Female Athlete of the Decade. The hardworking sportswoman was given the huge title by AP sports editors and beat writers.
Apnews reports that Serena is the most successful female tennis player, having won 23 Grand Slam singles titles, more than anyone else in the sport’s professional era.
Serena Williams has not had it all smoothly during the decade as she has had to battle many challenges including getting pregnant and nearly losing her life during childbirth.
Through it all, the superstar never let anything pull her down as her performances barely experienced any major reduction due to the problems she faced.
Below is a list of the records and achievements of the amazing tennis player:
1. She was in the final of 19 of the 33 majors she entered during the decade; approximately a 58% rate.
2. Williams was the runner-up seven times at major tournaments over the past decade, including four of the seven she’s entered since returning to the tour after having a baby in 2017.
3. The superstar has 23 Grand Slam singles titles, more than anyone else in her sport’s professional era, which began in 1968.
4. She won the AP Female Athlete of the Year awards five times in total, three times within the last decade: in 2013, 2015 and 2018.
5. Serena is the oldest woman to win a Grand Slam singles trophy in the professional era
6. The superstar has had at least one Slam final every year, a streak that dates to 2007
Stacy Allaster, CEO of the WTA from 2009-15 spoke about the groundbreaking performance of Serena Williams over the years, making very profound statements.
In her own words, Stacy said:
“When the history books was written, it could be that the great Serena Williams is the greatest athlete of all time… I lie to call it eh “Serena Superpowers’ – that champion’s mindset. Irrespective of the adversity and the odds that are facing her, she always believes in herself”
Serena's achievements are so amazing that the runner up to the decade award Gymnast Simone Biles mentioned that Serena Williams is an idol to her.
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
Meanwhile, Legit.ng earlier reported that the 39-time Grand Slam champion who is a philanthropist, making a huge difference in Africa.
Through the Serena Williams Fund, new schools are being built in Jamaica and in various countries on the African continent.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better
Aruna Quadri: Nigerian with world's deadliest forehand in t/tennis on Legit TV