- The DSS has denied reports that two Nigerians - Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata and Agba Jalingo - are in their custody
- The service notes that the reports were published to tarnish the image of the DSS
- The DSS said the service has no reasons to deny its arrest and detention of suspects if actually it carried out operations during which such persons were arrested
The Department of State Services (DSS), has denied allegations that Abubakar Idris popularly known as Dadiyata and Agba Jalingo are in their custody.
Reacting to a publication by Nigerian dailies that over 50 suspects including Dadiyata and Jalingo are being held by the Service under excruciating conditions and "routinely tortured", the service said the allegations are spurious a deliberate campaign of calumny to undermine the DSS and cast it in bad light before the public.
Dadiyata and Jalingo were alleged to have been taken away by some men suspected to be officials of the DSS in Kaduna and Cross River state respectively and have since not been heard from friends or relatives.
However, in a statement by DSS spokesperson, Peter Afunanya, on Tuesday, December 31, the DSS said Daily Trust and Punch should have properly conducted their investigations before holding the Service responsible for the acts it did not commit.
Afunanya said the service has no reasons to deny its arrest and detention of suspects if actually it carried out operations during which such persons were arrested.
He also said it has never been out of place for security and law enforcement agencies to arrest and detain lawbreakers or those suspected to be as such actions are procedural and undergo continuous review.
Afunanya said: "In certain conditions, some are routinely questioned and released while others are granted administrative bail. Some who are still under investigation or already undergoing prosecution are held on the basis of court orders."
He noted that suspect handling is a critical aspect of the service's responsibility and this is taken seriously without any form of compromise.
He also said the DSS is a professional body and a major stakeholder in Nigeria's democratic governance. Its operations are guided by strict rules and procedures.
"It is mindful of the rights of citizens and will, however, continue to perform its statutory roles without let or fear. It will hinge such practice on the rule of law, respect for citizens' rights and support for constituted authorities," Afunanya added.
While stating that it is expected that the two newspapers will not engage in any acts that are capable of undermining national security, the DSS urged for a recommitment to the pursuit of peace and order by the dailies.
He said: "The Service is dedicated to a robust collaboration with stakeholders, especially the media. But it wishes to categorically state that it will, henceforth, not condone acts of misrepresentation and falsehood against it and in this regard, will explore legal options to seek redress."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the DSS on Tuesday, December 24, released a former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki, and the publisher of Sahara Reporters, Omoyele Sowore.
Dasuki who had been in DSS custody since 2015, was released alongside Sowore following an order by Nigeria’s Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN).
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Deji Adeyanju attacked in Abuja during FreeSowore protest | Legit TV