- A high-profile committee has been set up to intervene in the face-off between Governor Ganduje and Emir Sanusi
- The committee is led by Nigeria's former military head of state, General Abdulsalami Abubakar (retd.)
- Adamu Fika, a member of the committee, said the committee has the backing of the federal government
A committee headed by Nigeria's former military head of state, General Abdulsalami Abubakar (retd.), has been set up to intervene and put an end to the lingering crisis between Kano state governor Umar Ganduje and the Emir of Kano Muhammadu Sanusi II.
There has been palpable tension in Kano state for months between Governor Ganduje and the Kano monarch, a situation that led to the creation of new emirates in Kano state in an alleged bid to whittle down Sanusi's power.
Below is a full list of the members of the reconciliation committee:
1. General Abdulsalami Abubakar, chairman
2. Kayode Fayemi, the chairman of Nigeria Governors’ Forum
3. Aminu Bello Masari, Katsina state governor
4. Prof. Ibrahim Gambari
5. Adamu Fika
6. Wazirin Fika
7. Gen Muhammadu Inuwa Wushishi
8. Abdullahı Ibrahim
9. Dalhatu Sarki Talida
10. Dr Umaru Mutaliab
11. Sheikh Sharif Ibrahim Saleh
12. Adamu Fika
The Guardian reports that Fika, one of the members of the committee, said the committee has the backing of the federal government.
He added that the committee has made contact with the two parties involved, Governor Ganduje and Emir Sanusi, and they have agreed to stop taking any further actions until the reconciliation process is over.
Similarly, Members of the Northern Elders Forum (NEF) have begun moves to ensure reconciliation between Governor Ganduje and Emir Sanusi.
The forum is expected to lead top-notch leaders to have meetings with elders and Kano stakeholders over the crisis between the emir and the governor.
It was gathered that invitations had already been sent to some of the stakeholders ahead of the meeting which is scheduled to hold at the Tahir Guest Palace in Kano state.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Emir Sanusi blasts Nigerian leadership | Legit TV | Legit TV