- The convicted leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), Henry Okah, has lost a suit in South Africa
- Okah had appealed his conviction and 24 years jail term on charges of terrorism
- The court ruled that it had jurisdiction and that Okah cannot appeal his case twice
Henry Okah, the convicted leader of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND), has lost a suit he filed challenging his trial and sentence on terrorism charge in South Africa.
Channels Television reports that Okah lost the case at a Pretoria high court on Wednesday, December 20.
He had been sentenced to 24 years jail term on 13 counts of terrorism in 2013 following the 2010 bombings in Abuja and Warri which resulted in the death of three people.
In his ruling, Judge Moses Mavundla noted a person convicted cannot appeal against it more than once.
In the case of Okah, he is said to have appealed the conviction at the supreme and the constitutional courts.
The judge also ruled that the court has jurisdiction over the case against Okah's claim. He further ordered Okah to pay the taxes and other costs of the state, the director of public prosecutions and the minister of police).
Okah, who spoke to Channels Television, said he is fighting on.
In November 2017, Okah challenged the trial and conviction at the South African Constitutional Court, which he lost.
In a related development, Legit.ng reported that a former attorney general of the federation and minister of justice, Mohammed Adoke, returned to Nigeria on the instance of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Adoke’s aircraft touched down at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja at about 3:40 pm on Thursday, December 19.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.
IGP Adamu speaks on the safety of Nigerians as Christmas approaches | Legit TV