22 former Boko Haram fighters sit for SSCE - NCS

22 former Boko Haram fighters sit for SSCE - NCS

- The comptroller-general of the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS), Ja’afaru Ahmed, said 22 ex-Boko Haram insurgents have sat for SSCE

- Ahmed said the former Boko Haram fighters have participated in the NCS de-radicalisation programme as part of their rehabilitation

- The NCS boss also commented on overcrowding in the correctional centres, lamenting that about 2,745 condemned inmates were awaiting execution

Not fewer than 22 former members of the Boko Haram terrorist group who have been deradicalised have sat for the Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE).

ThisDay reports that the development was disclosed by the comptroller-general of the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS), Ja’afaru Ahmed.

The former Boko Haram fighters have participated in the NCS de-radicalisation programme as part of their rehabilitation.

Also speaking with journalists on Wednesday, December 18, through the NSC spokesman, Francis Enobore, Ahmed lamented that about 2,745 condemned inmates were awaiting execution in various correctional facilities across the country.

Breaking: Tears in Nigeria customs as unknown gunmen attack officers on patrol, kill 2
22 former Boko Haram fighters sit for SSCE - NCS

The minister of interior, Rauf Aregbesola, with the Comptroller-General, Nigeria Correctional Service, Ahmed Ja’afaru. Credit: Rauf Aregbesola
Source: Twitter

The NCS boss, therefore, urged the state governors to sign their execution warrant.

He noted that many state governors are not willing to sign death sentences of condemned inmates, neither are they ready to commute their death sentence to life imprisonment.

Ahmed urged the governors to domesticate the Administration of Criminal Justice Act which was meant to hasten the trial of suspects and enhance the decongestion of correctional facilities.

According to him, about 24 states have domesticated the act which empowers correctional centres to reject inmates to ensure that facilities are not overcrowded.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the minister of interior, Rauf Aregbesola, ordered an immediate investigation into the death of five inmates of the Ikoyi prison after they were electrocuted.

The incident happened on Monday, December 2, information available to Legit.ng showed.

Why Malami is responsible for Sowore’s detention - Falana

Aregbesola who was also a former governor of Osun state ordered an urgent investigation into the incident.

The ministry also promised to release a comprehensive report on the incident.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

Nigerians storm National Assembly to protest social media bill | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel