Samsung Galaxy Note 5 adds to the fleet of Galaxy Notes from the tech major, Samsung. The company, through this phone, intended to reach a niche market of consumers who need a high-end phone with a fast processor and fantastic display, all at an affordable price.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 release date was August 2015, and it is still available in the market. Note 5 offers a variety of features that are likely to be of interest to you.
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 overview
Here is a quick overview of the device with regard to its advantages and disadvantages.
- Large display panel with high resolution
- Sleek design giving it the appearance of a premium phone
- Dual charging systems available: Fast wireless charging and wired charging
- It lacks a microSD card slot
- The battery capacity of 3000 mAh is not sufficient to comfortably support its operations
- Supports only one SIM (Not dual SIM)
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 specs
- Announced: August 2015
- Samsung Galaxy Note 5 release date: August 2015
- Dimensions: 153.2 x 76.1 x 7.6 mm (6.03 x 3.00 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 171 g (6.03 oz)
- SIM card: Nano-SIM
- Display: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size: 5.7 inches, 88.5 cm2 (~75.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1440 x 2560 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~518 ppi density)
- Operating system: Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop), upgradable to 7.0 (Nougat)
- Chipset: Exynos 7420 Octa (14 nm)
- GPU: Mali-T760MP8
- CPU: Octa-core (4x2.1 GHz Cortex-A57 & 4x1.5 GHz Cortex-A53)
- Internal memory: 32GB 4GB RAM, 64GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 4GB RAM
- Expandable memory: No
- Rear camera: 16 MP, f/1.9, 28mm (wide), 1/2.6", 1.12µm, AF, OIS
- Selfie camera: 5 MP, f/1.9, 22mm (wide), 1/4.1", 1.34µm
- USB: MicroUSB 2.0, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint (front-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, heart rate, SpO2
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 3000 mAh battery
- Colors: Black Sapphire, Gold Platinum, Silver Titan, White Pearl
Check out the hardware features of the gadget below.
The handset is made from metal and Corning Gorilla Glass 4. While the aluminum metal gives it a strong and firm frame, the glass part of it is fragile and easily breakable if accidentally dropped. Its dimensions are 153.2 x 76.1 x 7.6 mm. It weighs 171 grams.
It has a slightly protruding camera bump and an LCD flash at its rear. The power button is positioned on the right side while the volume rockers are on the left side. The phone is available in four distinct colors, namely, Black Sapphire, Gold Platinum, Silver Titan, and White Pearl. It has a fantastic design that affords it a premium phone appearance.
Is a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 waterproof? Previous releases of the Note series have all had the waterproof feature, but not for the Note 5. Since it has an S-pen socket, it is almost impossible to make the device water or dust-proof.
Samsung Galaxy Note 5's display size is 5.7 inches. It has a resolution of 1440x2560 pixels and a pixel density of 518ppi. For a long time, Samsung has been manufacturing phones with an excellent display, and this one is no different.
Apart from the infinite contrast it offers, the screen displays accurate and well-balanced colors, high brightness, and wide viewing angles. You will not have problems viewing screen contents under direct sunlight because of its high sunlight legibility rating.
Processor, storage, and performance
The phone has the Exynos 7420 chipset, a Mali-T760MP8 GPU for excellent graphics, and an octa-core CPU that facilitates fast processing. These specifications, combined with the spacious internal memory, give the device an incredible performance. You can comfortably use it for gaming or even multitasking.
All three versions of the phone have 4GB RAM. However, the ROM sizes vary and are available in 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB. The device lacks a microSD card slot, meaning that it does not have external storage capacity. If you have high storage needs, then you should opt for the version with the largest ROM size.
There is a slight reduction in the battery capacity of the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 compared to the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. The in-built 3000mAh battery can power the phone for a considerable duration. In the box, there is a quick charger capable of charging the device within 90 minutes from empty to full. The wireless charging option takes approximately 120 minutes to charge the battery completely.
Speaker and call quality
When it comes to sound quality, the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 speaker is arguably among the best. The audio output is impressive, and if you increase the volume, it does not get noisy but maintains high sound quality. A speaker located at the top part on the front section doubles as the earpiece, and it gives clear call quality.
The important software details of the device are explained below.
OS and features
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Android version is 5.1.1(Lollipop), but you can upgrade it to a better version such as Android 7.0 (Nougat). Even with Android 5.1.1, there are no significant complications as most of the applications on the device run smoothly. It performs a majority of tasks such as gaming without straining.
For better communication and connectivity with other devices, it has essential features such as Bluetooth, GPS, NFC, USB, and Wi-Fi. The highly functional sensors on the device include Fingerprint (front-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, and the heart rate sensor.
Camera, video and image quality
The primary camera has a resolution of 16 MP with an LED flash for lighting. It can capture video at 2160p at 30 frames per second (30fps), 1080p at 30 or 60 frames per second, which is impressive and it guarantees quality videos. Photos and videos can be captured in HDR or panorama.
The selfie camera, on the other hand, has a 5 Mega Pixel resolution with Dual video call and Auto HDR features. Video can be captured at 1440p at 30 frames per second, which is suitable for video calls and quality selfie pictures.
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 accessories
For the best experience of the device, you should acquire some of its accessories. Here is a list of the essential accessories you should use with the gadget.
- Level on wireless pro for enjoying high-quality audio
- Level U for hands-free call and accessing S voice
- Level box pro as an external speaker for excellent audio
- Keyboard cover
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 price
Currently, its retail price ranges from 63,500 Naira to 150,000 Naira. It is available on reputable online stores such as Jumia.
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 review
Tech and smartphone lovers have expressed different opinions concerning the specifications of the phone. Here are some of the sampled comments from YouTube.
- Alex Martinez: Seems so weird looking at the curves on the back of the phone after having the Edge for almost a year
- DarkSoul76: looks like a great upgrade from my laggy grand prime!
- Abdul B: Samsung is definitely stepping up its game, this phone looks real premium!!! Let's see how Samsung S7 turns out
- LeatherRocket25: the gold look Stunning!!!!
- MarcusBRASIL: I am going to get this phone in weeks! So powerful and beautiful.
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 features make the device a good budget smartphone. Though some specs are not satisfactory, it is a smartphone that will meet your day to day needs. You will, however, have to keep your charger close just in case it is drained off all its battery power and you need to recharge it. Lack of an expandable memory slot in the device also limits your storage needs.
In general, the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 has an elegant and intuitive design with excellent features that cater to the needs of users. It is an ideal phone for multiple uses, such as photography and gaming, except for its few minor shortcomings.