You can't present more witnesses against Melaye - Court tells FG

You can't present more witnesses against Melaye - Court tells FG

- An FCT court has barred the federal government from presenting more witnesses against Dino Melaye

- The court said it is obvious that the prosecution is not ready to move on with the trial

- The judge said the court should have struck out the case for “lack of diligent prosecution”

A High Court sitting in the Federal Capital Territory on Thursday, December 5, prevented the federal government from calling more witnesses to testify against a former lawmaker, Dino Melaye, in its false information case.

The Cable reports that Melaye who represented Kogi West senatorial district at the eighth and ninth Senate is facing a three-count charge instituted against him by the federal government.

The FG had alleged that the former lawmaker deliberately gave false information to the Police about an alleged assassination attempt on him in 2017.

However, during the trial on Thursday, December 5, the counsel to Melaye, Olusegun Odubela, urged the court to close the prosecution's case on grounds that they (prosecution) are not ready to move on with the trial.

I've been receiving threats from APC leadership - Party member cries out, withdraws suit seeking 3rd term for Buhari

Odubela also prayed the court to adjourn the matter to enable the defence file a “no-case-submission” before it.

“It is clear that the prosecution is not ready to move on with the trial, they have achieved what they wanted to achieve which is a media trial," Odubela said.

In delivering a ruling on the matter, the judge, Olasumbo Goodluck, said the court should have struck out the case for “lack of diligent prosecution”.

She, however, said she was only bound by the request of Melaye's counsel before the court.

The judge further closed the prosecution's case and fixed Tuesday, February 11, 2020, for the former lawmaker to move his no-case-submission.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Melaye had given a reason for not congratulating Smart Adeyemi who won the Kogi West senatorial district election.

Breaking: Court orders transfer of El-Zakzaky, wife from SSS custody to prison

Melaye said congratulating Adeyemi as a good as hailing "an armed robber after a successful operation".

He also vowed that he would reclaim his mandate because he was voted and as such, won the poll.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Kogi election: Kogi deputy governor reacts to APC victory | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel