Boko Haram: Defence headquarters denies recruitment of ex-terrorists into military

Boko Haram: Defence headquarters denies recruitment of ex-terrorists into military

- The Defence headquarters reacts to a claim that it is already recruiting former Boko Haram fighters into the military

- Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, a spokesperson, says the Army actually engaged in de-radicalisation of the former sect members

- According to him, the de-radicalisation is a concept from the federal government

Nigeria's Defence headquarters on Sunday, December 1, denied claims that it was recruiting former Boko Haram terrorists into the military.

A statement by Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, Acting Director Defence Information, and obtained by Legit.ng, said the report carried by some online media and credited to one Balhatu Musa Ezekiel was false.

It agreed that there was a deradicalisation programme carried out on the Boko Haram members that have surrendered but said this was a federal government concept.

Read the full statement below:

NIGERIAN MILITARY NOT RECRUITING BOKO HARAM EX FIGHTERS

The Defence headquarters has been notified of false information peddled in some online media, insinuating that deradicalized Boko Haram ex- fighters are being absorbed into the Nigerian military. One of such insinuations is contained in a trending video footage published by Roots TV, where one Balhatu Musa Ezekiel claimed the Nigeria Army had recruited de-redicalized Boko Haram Ex-fighters into the Army and was therefore recycling insurgency.

EFCC denies dropping charges against Diezani

The Defence Headquarters wishes to unambiguously state that Balhatu's claims are not only bereft of truth, but laced with mediocrity emanating from poorly researched and uninformed position.

Contrary to his claims , no Boko Haram ex- fighter has been recruited into the Nigerian military and no such plan is in the offing.

The de-radicalisation, rehabilitation and reintegration program is a federal government program conducted under the auspices of Operation Safe Corridor as a non- kinetic operation.

Nigeria's de-radicalisation model is a very effective one, targeted at low risk combatants and has become a classical example in the Lake Chad Basin region and West Africa.

Over 250 repentant insurgents who willingly abandoned their struggle and surrendered to federal troops have been de-radicalised, rehabilitated and re-integrated into the society by their respective state governments in conjunction with traditional and religious institutions.

Nigeria's de-radicalisation model is therefore not new in the global community, as such model exists in Algeria, Colombia, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, where persons involved in violent extremism have been de-radicalised and rehabilitated . This process is therefore an internationally acceptable practice now.

Over 500 Boko Haram insurgents surrender - Nigerian Army (photos)

So far in Nigeria, the de-radicalised ex-fighters are doing well in their respective communities, as no adverse report has been recorded against the de-radicalised repentant ex fighters by Operation Safe Corridor's monitoring unit. There has not been report of molestation or harassment of any sort against them by members of the communities, where they are resettled. As a matter of verifiable fact, the reintegrated ex- fighters are doing well in their various endeavours and are positively impacting on their respective communities.

It is also expedient to state, that the federal government of Nigeria has continued to prosecute BHT/ISWAP suspects in courts of competent jurisdiction and over 500 terrorists have so far been convicted. Meanwhile, the next round of prosecution of another batch of terrorism suspects is due to commence shortly.

Members of the public are therefore enjoined to please discountenance the misinformation and misguided views peddled by Balhatu Musa Ezekiel, as it constitutes outright aberration of extant recruitment procedures and practice of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

IGP: Fake policemen disrupted governorship elections in Bayelsa, Kogi

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

The Defence headquarters reiterates its commitment to ensuring a well motivated, trained and equipped Armed Forces that is professionally responsive to national security commitments.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng reports that the Nigerian Military on Thursday, November 7, said over 86 children used as child soldiers by the Boko Haram insurgents had been handed over to the Borno state government.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

Nigerians storm National Assembly to protest social media bill | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel