When HDM Global announced Nokia 8.1, many expected it to be an improvement of the Nokia 8. It is a mid-range smartphone with unique features to take care of most needs of the modern smartphone user.
The Nokia 8.1 release date was December 2018. The device is now available in some countries like China, India, the UK, the USA, and some European countries as well. The phone is powered by a mid-range processor, Qualcomm Snapdragon 710 SoC. What other Nokia 8.1 details do you know?
Before deciding on whether to buy the device or not, it is crucial to know the pros and cons of using it.
- It has a well-built design.
- The display of the phone is large.
- It is available in five different colors.
- Users can also upgrade the OS to the latest Android version.
- The memory can be expanded using a microSD card.
- It is not waterproof.
- The battery capacity of the phone is low compared to other mid-range handsets.
Nokia 8.1 specs
The handset has a less powerful processor compared to Nokia 8, but it still offers amazing specifications like an HDR display and high screen resolution. Here are the main specifications of the device;
- Display: 6.18-inch Full-HD+ display HDR10
- Screen resolution: 1080 x 2280 pixels (408 PPI)
- Operating System: Android 9.0 Pie
- CPU: Octa-core (2x2.2 GHz 360 Gold & 6x1.7 GHz Kryo 360 Silver)
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 710
- GPU: Adreno 616
- RAM: 4GB/6GB
- ROM: 64GB/128GB
- Camera: Dual 12MP + 13MP rear camera and 20MP front camera
- Battery: 3,500mAh non-removable Li-Ion battery
- Colors: Blue, Silver, Steel, Copper, Iron
- Network and connectivity: 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, VoWiFi, Bluetooth v5.0, GPS/ A-GPS, FM radio, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and USB Type-C port.
The smartphone also comes with exciting hardware features suited for a mid-range handset. These are;
The phone consists of a 6000-series aluminum frame of an average thickness of 8mm sandwiched by glass on both sides. There is a wide notch at the top of the front screen that houses the camera, speaker, and other sensors.
At the back, are dual cameras centrally arranged in horizontal set-up alongside the fingerprint scanner with a circular depression.
Nokia 8.1 display
When it comes to design, the handset has a similar look to Nokia 7.1 but is a larger version of the device with around 81.2% screen to body ratio. In terms of resolution, Nokia 8.1 features a 6.18-inch display with a Full HD+ resolution of 2280 x 1080 pixels and a pixel density of 408 PPI.
Unlike the QHD panel technology used in Nokia 8, the smartphone features a Full-HD+ display HDR10 screen which offers an excellent display for the handset. Besides, Nokia 8.1 colors range from Blue, Silver, Steel, Copper, and Iron.
Processor, storage & performance
The smartphone has a mid-range chipset, Qualcomm Snapdragon 710, and a 2.2GHz octa-core processor. It also has the Adreno 616 GPU for its graphics. It also comes with a 4GB/6GB RAM and a ROM of either 64GB or 128GB. Users can also expand the memory using a microSD card to up to 400 GB.
Nokia 8.1 battery life
The 3,500mAh battery capacity is not the best in the market, but it is sufficient for average users. The handset comes with a USB Type-C port as well as fast charge support of 18W.
Speakers and audio quality
In terms of speakers and the quality of audio, the handset does not disappoint. It uses a 3.5 mm headphone jack.
The device comes with fantastic features, including a good camera and an OS that suits its operations.
The handset operated on Android 9.0 Pie since its launch, but that has recently changed. In October 2019, HMD Global announced the rollout of Android 10 for the handset, meaning that it is now among the most affordable smartphones operating on Android 10.
Camera, video and image quality
The camera of the smartphone is similar to that of Nokia 8 but comes with an improved sensor and rear end camera pair. At the back is a 12 MP (f/1.8, 1/2.55”, 1.4µm pixels) lens consisting of dual LED flash, Zeiss optics, EIS, 2PD, OIS, and a 13 MP lens for portrait shots.
For selfies, users will enjoy the massive 20MP front camera with a fixed focus lens of 0.9µm The camera also supports 4-in-1 pixel technology for better low-light photography. With the Bothie feature, the device can also take a photo from both cameras simultaneously.
When it comes to video, the phone supports 4K videos. It also has the Pro Camera UI for better shots.
Nokia 8.1 price
To get this smartphone, you need to part with about 88,539 Naira depending on your location. You can also buy Nokia 8.1 accessories from various online and offline shops in the country.
Nokia 8.1 review
Here are some of the comments about the mid-range device obtained from YouTube.
- Debojyoti Biswas: It is expensive but not overpriced after considering good built quality, camera, stability at recording 1080p videos, Android One and very good display.
- Ishfaq Mir: Camera wow depth sensor 13 mp who else in market is giving 13 mp depth sensor. Nokia u beauty.
- PRIYANKUR DEY: Love the device seriously
After going through Nokia 8.1 details, you might be asking yourself whether to buy the handset or not. Well, it is a useful device that can save you money while getting some of the top-end features of a smartphone. Other alternative phones you may consider are Honor 10, OnePlus 6T, and Samsung Galaxy A7.
What do you think about Nokia 8.1? Does it have what it takes to challenge other mid-range handsets in 2019?