Vivo S5 is a new smartphone released by the Chinese technology company called Vivo. The handset comes with an attractive design and impressive features that make it stand out in the market. The device is the third in the S series after Vivo S1 and S1 Pro.
Vivo S5 Overview
The new device comes with its pros and cons that anyone planning to buy it should know.
- It comes with a large display suitable for watching videos and playing games.
- The phone has high battery capacity that can last for long without charging.
- It also has one of the best rear and selfie cameras in the market.
- The handset has a microSD card slot to expand memory.
- It comes in three colour options, Icelandic Blue, Phantom Blue, and Star Black.
- It uses Android 9 Pie OS and not the latest Android version.
Vivo S5 specs
The handset has an octa-core processor which makes it fast and smooth in operations. It also comes with other decent specifications that might convince you to buy it.
- CPU: Octa-core (2x2.3 GHz Kryo 360 Gold & 6x1.7 GHz Kryo 360 Silver)
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 712
- OS: Android 9.0 (Pie)
- GPU: Adreno 616
- Screen size: 6.44 inches
- Resolution: 1080×2400 pixels
- Weight: 188g
- RAM: 8GB
- ROM: 128GB
- External storage: MicroSD, up to 128GB
- Rear camera: 48MP + 8MP + 5MP + 2MP
- Front camera: 32MP
- Battery capacity: 4010mAh
- SIM: Dual (Nano-SIM)
- Colours: Icelandic Blue, Phantom Blue, Star Black
According to Vivo S5 latest news, the device has impressive hardware features including an attractive design and a good battery life.
Generally, Vivo phones come with gorgeous designs, and the latest S5 is no exception. The handset has a similar design to the previous S1. It has a 3D surface grip that makes it more appealing. The punch-hole camera and the four cameras on the back also set it apart from other phones in the series.
When it comes to its measurements, the phone is 8.66 mm in thickness, 73.9 mm in width, and 157.9 mm in length. It weighs 188g, which means you can feel some weight when holding it.
Vivo S5 display
The smartphone also comes with a 6.44-inch AMOLED display with Full HD+ resolution of 1080 x 2400 pixels and 409 PPI (Pixels Per-square Inch). It has a screen-to-body ratio of 85.8% and a TUV Rhineland certification which means the phone is safe for your eyes.
The handset comes in three different colours for buyers to select their favourite. The three Vivo S5 colours are Icelandic Blue, Phantom Blue, and Star Black.
Processor, storage & performance
The phone uses the Qualcomm SDM712 Snapdragon 712 Octa-core (2×2.3 GHz Kryo 360 Gold + 6×1.7 GHz Kryo 360 Silver) processor which provides a user-friendly experience. The Adreno 616 GPU ensures fast and efficient graphics performance.
The ROM of the new device is 128GB, and with a microSD slot, you can increase the memory up to 128GB. It has a RAM of 8GB.
Vivo S5 battery
One of the standout features of the device is its long battery life. Not many handsets have a battery capacity of 4010mAh within its price range. It also has fast charging technology.
Speaker and audio quality
The speaker produces good sound for entertainment. You can also plug in an earphone to listen to your favourite song.
One of the standout software features of the new handset is its powerful lenses for both its selfie and primary cameras.
Vivo S5 camera
The front and rear cameras capture quality and clear images and videos. The rear camera is 48 MP alongside an 8MP ultrawide, 5MP depth, and 2MP macro units arranged in a diamond formation.
The rear camera takes videos of both 2160p@30fps and 1080p@30fps while the selfie camera takes videos of 1080p@ 30fps. For selfies, users can enjoy the 32 MP front camera, which is suitable for photography.
Vivo S5 release date
The phone was officially launched on Nov 14, 2019, in Beijing, China. It is now available in some countries at an affordable price. Vivo S5 price ranges from one nation to the other. In Nigeria, it is expected to start retailing at about N140,000.
Vivo S5 review
Here are what some people said about the new handset on YouTube.
- Shinjuko Altabano: Diamond shaped camera looks different it's much better if it's round... anyways.. it's just my opinion.
- S6 Updates: It'll sell like Hot Cakes in Markets like India and China. Vivo has their own fan base which includes majority of Girls. Design looks 10/10, Camera seems Good, Battery is also Good.. what else Girls want?
- Vimal reigns: At that price point there is a 108mp phone and also there is a snapdragon 855+ phone so no need of s5.
If you are to pick the best smartphone from the Vivo S series, then S5 is a perfect choice. You can, however, consider other devices with a more powerful processor and that are relatively cheap like Google Pixel 3A, Galaxy S9 SCV38, and Xiaomi Mi 9 among others.
Vivo S5 is probably among the best phones by the Chinese company that is expected to give other manufacturers a run for their money.