Troops engage Boko Haram insurgents after attempt to attack Damaturu

Troops engage Boko Haram insurgents after attempt to attack Damaturu

- Suspected Boko Haram terrorists have attempted to attack Damaturu, the capital of Yobe state

- The insurgents were, however, repelled by combined police personnel and troops

- Yahaya Abubakar, the state commissioner of police, confirmed the incident

The security operatives in Yobe have repelled suspected Boko Haram insurgents who attempted to infiltrate Damaturu, the state capital.

Channels TV reports that the incident was confirmed by the state commissioner of police, Yahaya Abubakar, in Yobe on Thursday, November 7.

Legit.ng gathered that the police boss explained that the attack was averted following intelligence gathered about the suspicious movement of the insurgents ahead of the incident.

According to the report, Abubakar stated that a joint team of security operatives from the police command and troops of the Nigerian Army supported by two fighter jets stormed the area just in time, leading to the feat recorded.

He added that there was no casualty on the side of the security operatives.

Breaking: Nigerian Army arrests Boko Haram commanders, others

The police commissioner said: “We were told of their movement from Mafa community in Borno state. The security personnel - both military and police; we mobilised ourselves and have successfully repelled the attack. Everywhere is calm now.”

The TV station also noted that the spokesman for the 27 Task Force Brigade Nigerian Army, Captain Njoka Irabor, also confirmed the attack.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Nigerian Military on Thursday, November 7, said it handed over 86 children used as child soldiers by the Boko Haram insurgents to the Borno state government.

It was reported that the defence headquarters in a statement by its spokesperson, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu, said the children were handed over to the state government by the Operation Safe Corridor.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

How suspected gun runner was arrested along Kaduna-Abuja highway

The Army officer had said the child fighters, who voluntarily surrendered to troops of Operation Lafiya Dole, were with the Borno state rehabilitation centre in Bulumkutu. Nwachukwu said that the military released the children to the state government to ensure that other minors and repentant Boko Haram fighter in the northeast region get all the support needed to embrace peace.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better

Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel