Nigerian military releases 86 Boko Haram child fighters to Borno

Nigerian military releases 86 Boko Haram child fighters to Borno

- Troops of the Operation Lafiya Dole have rescued some child soldiers from the terrorist Boko Haram group

- The children have also been handed over to the Borno state government by the Nigerian Military

- According to the Military, the child fighters voluntarily surrendered to troops of Operation Lafiya Dole

Following the effort to end insurgency in the northeast region of Nigeria, the Nigerian Military on Thursday, November 7, said over 86 children used as child soldiers by the Boko Haram insurgents have been handed over to the Borno state government.

The defence headquarters in a statement by its spokesperson, Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu, said the children were handed over to Borno state government by the Operation Safe Corridor.

Onyema said these children voluntarily surrendered to troops of Operation Lafiya Dole and that they are currently with the Borno state Rehabilitation Centre located in Bulumkutu.

Nwachukwu while stating that the Military released the children to the state government to ensure that other minors and other repentant Boko Haram fighters in the northeast region get all the support needed to embrace peace.

Nigerian Air Force to conduct simulation exercise along Kaduna-Binin Gwari road

He also said that the children received by the state government are between the ages of 10 and 19 and that they were part of over 1,370 Boko Haram fighters who had surrendered to troops.

Nwachukwu also said that a fresh set of 500 Boko Haram members who have repented from terrorist activities will be transferred to Operation Safe Corridor for the De-radicalization, Rehabilitation and Re-integration Programme.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Nigerian Army had announced its plan to recruit 4,832 soldiers who would be deployed to different parts of the country.

The commandant of the Depot Nigerian Army, Major General Sani Mohammed said new recruits would be officially commissioned after a passing out parade.

Speaking on the training for the fresh recruits, Major General Aminu Maitama who represented the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, said training in the Nigerian Army is a continuous process that would last throughout a soldier’s career.

Sokoto killings: NAF commences investigation, say any personnel found guilty will be dealt with

Also, some troops fighting Boko Haram insurgents in the region repelled an attempt by the terrorists to infiltrate the capital city of Yobe state, Damaturu.

The commissioner of Police in the state said the attack was averted following intelligence gathered about the suspicious movement of the insurgents ahead of the incident.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better

Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel