In June this year, Samsung released its latest phone in the M series, Samsung Galaxy M40. It comes with the classy punch-hole display (Infinity-O). It also features on-screen sound technology that enhances the sound quality when making and receiving calls. The phone price ranges between N100,000 and N120,000.
The device comes in three models, SM-M405F/DS, SM-M405FN/DS and SM-M405G/DS. Unlike its predecessor, this model has no AMOLED display, no infinity- U display, has a reduced battery capacity and lacks a 3.5mm audio jack. However, the camera quality is top-notch and the storage space is admirable. What else is different about this model? Is it a phone you should consider purchasing?
Here is a brief look into the pros and cons of this galaxy model:
- Excellent punch-hole display(Infinity-O) that gives it an elegant look
- The device comes with on-screen sound technology that enhances the call quality
- It only weighs 168g and is easy to carry around
- It comes with a 15W fast charger
- It offers enough storage space as it comes with 128GB/64GB ROM plus a microSD slot, up to 1 TB
- Inbuilt with the powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 675 that improves its general performance
- It comes with the face unlock feature and a fingerprint sensor.
- Does not have an AMOLED display
- It does not have a 3.5 mm audio jack
- Lacks an auto-brightness sensor
Samsung Galaxy M40 specs
The Samsung Galaxy M40 full features and specifications are:
- Release date: June 18, 2019
- Dimensions: 155.3 x 73.9 x 7.9 mm (6.11 x 2.91 x 0.31 in)
- Weight: 168g (5.93 oz)
- SIM: Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand by)
- Display type: PLS TFT LCD capacitive touchscreen
- Colour depth: 16M
- Screen size: 6.3 inches (84.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 1080 x 2340 pixels (19.5:9 ratio)
- Operating system: Android 9.0 (Pie), One UI
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 675 (11 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (2x2.0 GHz Kryo 460 Gold & 6x1.7 GHz Kryo 460 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 612
- Internal memory: 128GB/64GB ROM, 6GB/4GB RAM
- External memory: MicroSD (up to 1 TB)
- Rear camera: 32 MP (primary), 8 MP (ultra-wide, 123 degrees angle), 5 MP (depth sensor)
- Rear camera features: LED flash, panorama, HDR
- Selfie camera: 16 MP, f/2.0, HDR
- Video recording resolution: 2160p@30fps, 1080@30fps
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- FM radio: Yes
- USB: 2.0, Type C 1.0 reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, virtual light
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 3500 mAh battery
- Charging: Fast charging 15W
- Colours: Seawater Blue, Midnight Blue, Cocktail Orange
- Price: N100,000-N120,000
The phone comes with the following hardware features:
The phone's design is similar to the other phones in the M series except for the punch-hole (Infinity-O) display. The punch hole is placed on the top left, and it holds the 16 MP selfie camera. The front screen is protected with Corning Gorilla Glass V3 while the back has a glossy plastic covering that can be easily mistaken for glass. It is, however, quite susceptible to fingerprints and smudges.
The main microphone, type C USB port, and speaker are all placed on the lower side of the device while the right side holds the volume and power buttons. The microSD and SIM card port is on the left side. The triple camera array is placed on the top left corner while the fingerprint sensor is ideally located on the back cover. It has a thickness of 7.9 mm and it only weighs 168g. Samsung Galaxy M40 all colors are Seawater Blue, Midnight Blue and Cocktail Orange.
The Samsung Galaxy M40 display is full HD with a PLS TFT capacitive touchscreen. The 6.3-inch screen offers an impressive 84.9% screen to body ratio. The device has a resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels with a 19.5:9 ratio that gives you a pleasant viewing frame. The screen comes with a colour depth of 16M colours with a 409 ppi density.
Processor, storage, and performance
The device comes inbuilt with a capable octa-core processor. It runs on a Qualcomm Snapdragon 675 (11nm) chipset. The Adreno 612 graphics processor is good enough to give you a fast and smooth gaming experience.
How much storage does this device come with? Samsung Galaxy M40 comes with 128 GB/64 GB ROM and 6GB/4GB RAM. The microSD shares the same slot with the SIM and is expandable up to 1 TB. Such storage is enough for your apps, documents and images.
The overall performance is excellent due to the capable Snapdragon 675 chipset. PUBG and other games with complex graphics run smoothly on the phone. It could be a good purchase for gamers.
Samsung Galaxy M40 battery capacity
The phone's battery is a non-removable 3,500 mAh Li-Po battery. The battery can last a full day, with 5 hours screen-on-time. The Snapdragon chipset improves battery life to give optimal performance. Even though the battery capacity is not the best, the 15W fast charging ensures that you have a full charge within a short time.
The phone warms up during extended gaming sessions and when charging, but that should not be a point of concern.
Speaker and call quality
The device comes with an on-screen earpiece that is lacking in most phones. The earpiece is spread out through the whole screen that makes it vibrate during a call. Screen-on-sound technology improves call quality and audibility. It might take a while before you adjust to the vibrating, but once you do, it will not be problematic.
However, the phone does not come with a 3.5 mm headphone jack for plugging your external audio devices. The earphones are inserted into the type-C USB port, the same one for charging the device.
The software features are as important as its hardware features. Check out the key Samsung Galaxy M40 all details:
OS and other features
The phone runs on the Android 9.0 version and One UI.
Camera, video and image quality
Camera specs, image, and video quality are among the first features people look out for in a device. The video resolution must be crisp too. Take a look at its camera features:
The device comes with a 32 MP, f/1.7 primary camera enhanced with the PDAF(phase-detect autofocus) feature that improves the sharpness of an image. The 8 MP f/2.2 ultrawide camera is also inbuilt with the PDAF feature. The triple rear camera features an LED flash, panorama and HDR features.
Photos taken by the triple rear camera have good clarity and are of good quality, especially under natural light. When taken under artificial light, the sharpness and colour saturation degrades a bit. Generally, the camera quality is decent.
The 16 MP selfie camera takes portrait shots with excellent detail and sharpness. The colour saturation is also admirable. Videos recorded with the rear camera have a resolution of 2160p@30fps and 1080p@30fps while those taken by the front camera have the latter. The audio quality captured when taking videos is also good.
Samsung Galaxy M40 reviews
Those who have seen or interacted with the phone have had a thing or two to say about it. Here are some reviews by YouTube users:
- Shubham Ingule: So we cant use earphones while charging the phone
- Srinivas Tiwari: I am disappointed… I was waiting for it to be launched hoping for 5000 mAh battery as it is an M series device.
- Salman Khan: No AMOLED, no 3.5 mm jack, 3500 mAh battery… just a punch-hole design won't do it all for me
- Sandzak Bosniek: Why is everyone crying about Amoled? The displays are very good
- Parthasarathy Bose: No 3.5 mm jack with a lower processor might be a bummer
- Urvin savia: Phone is pretty amazing but disappointed to see LCD display
- I'm glad I bought the M30 instead of this. The battery life on my m30 is awesome and AMOLED display is beautiful
- Black hole: what even was the point of getting rid of the headphone jack on a midrange phone
Samsung Galaxy M40 accessories
The phone comes with the following accessories:
- 15W charger(power adapter)
- SIM ejection tool
- USB cable
- A pair of earphones with USB type C connector
- A user manual
Compared to its predecessor, the device is a downgrade in most of its features. The Samsung Galaxy M40 price in Nigeria is between N100,000 and N120,000. It is a mid-range device that targets customers on a budget. Those who require a budget-friendly device for everyday use will find this one to be an excellent option.
Samsung Galaxy M40 is the fourth phone released by Samsung in its M series. It comes with the Snapdragon 675 chipset that improves its overall performance. The internal memory is enough for you to store your documents, videos, images and applications comfortably. The camera and video quality are also admirable. What do you think about this new device?