Border closure: Nigerians support FG's decision, despite complaints from foreign countries

Border closure: Nigerians support FG's decision, despite complaints from foreign countries

The Nigerian government, in August, temporarily closed the land borders due to the massive smuggling activities taking place at the borders.

Neighboring countries have been pleading with the Nigerian government to rescind its decision. However, the government has said the nation’s land borders would remain closed until neighbouring countries meet the requirements for it to be reopened.

The governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria said the affected countries must first have “concrete engagements” on mutual anti-smuggling policies. He explained that the smuggling of goods through the neighbouring countries undermines Nigeria’s economic policy.

It appears a large number of Nigerians are in support of the government's decision to close the borders. This was reflected in a poll conducted by Legit.ng.

The results of the polls show that over 50% of Nigerians favour the government's decision.

The poll on Facebook which had over 7000 votes showed that 54% of Nigerians want the government to keep the borders shut. The other 46% are advocating for the border to be open.

Border closure: Nigerian govt rejects Vietnam’s rice importation plea

Meanwhile, the Twitter poll by Legit.ng shows that 50% want the border to remain shut., 30% want it re-opened while the remaining few are indifferent.

This is not the first time Nigeria will be shutting its borders. The country had shut its borders in June 2018 and also 2003.

Legit.ng had reported that Ghana once again begged the government of President Muhammadu Buhari to open the borders. Charles Owiredu, Ghana's deputy minister of foreign affairs, reportedly made the plea when he met with Ambassador Zubairu Dada in charge of foreign affairs in Nigeria.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Dada explained that Ghana was not the target of the border closure, adding that the decision was to discourage the movement of illicit goods into the country. He also said the government's action was temporary.

Falana calls for reopening of borders, condemns federal govt's action

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.

Border Closure: Price of rice may rise to N40k/bag before December | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel