- The Ondo chapter of the NLC says unless the federal government shifts ground over the issues of salary, there’ll be no going back on the planned nationwide strike
- The chapter chairman, Oluwole Adeleye, said if the meeting between labour and the federal government slated for Tuesday, October 15 is not favourable to workers, the union would commence on strike
- Adeleye said it is criminal on the part of government, not to obey the law of the land which was assented to by the federal government
The Ondo state chapter of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has stated that unless the federal government shifts ground over the issues of salary, there’ll be no going back on the planned nationwide strike.
The assertion was made on Monday, October 14 by the NLC chairman in the state, Oluwole Adeleye, during a chat with newsmen on the readiness of the workers to embark on industrial action, Tribune reports.
Legit.ng gathers that Adeleye said if the meeting between labour and the federal government slated for Tuesday, October 15 is not favourable to workers, the union would commence on strike.
He said: “We received a mail precisely on October 11 from the national headquarters of NLC alerting us in the state to get prepared for national industrial action, that it’s going to be total.
“But in that letter, we were made to understand that the federal government, through the minister of labour and productivity, has invited the labour to a meeting tomorrow (Tuesday).
“Don’t forget the ultimatum will lapse on the 16, that’s Wednesday, and if they are able to give us what we have demanded from them, which is 29 percent increment for workers between level seven and fourteen and 24 percent increment for workers between fifteen and seventeen, then there’s no point going on strike.
“But anything short of that, we are going to prove to the whole world that we are ready to get what we want because we know the government has the ability to pay.”
He added: “Minimum wage is not a gift or award. It is a negotiated salary which was sent to the National Assembly as a bill and passed as a law and assented to by the president himself on April 18. That makes a national issue and a matter of law.
“It is criminal on the part of government not to obey the law of the land which was assented to by the federal government.
“It took us two years to get to where we are. Is it going to take us years for them to implement it? We started with N65,000 and came down to N30,000.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the process of the federal government’s implementation of the new N30,000 minimum wage was explained by the minister of labour and employment, Chris Ngige.
Ngige confirmed that while the new minimum wage had been implemented for workers on grade level 1 to 7, those on levels 7- 17 were being considered as negotiations continue.
The minister pointed out that the implementation is a consequential adjustment, because as those at the lowest rungs of the ladder begin to earn N30,000, their salaries will impinge into salaries of levels 6/7 workers.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Minimum wage: Is N30,000 too much for FG to pay workers? - on Legit TV: