- The Nigerian embassy in Benin has described as fake a trending video claiming the place was attacked by hoodlums
- Ambassador Oguntuase said no attack ever happened at the embassy which is located in Cotonou, the country's capital
- He assured that the embassy and all the staff are safe and not in any way in danger
The Nigerian government has denied that there was an attack on the country's embassy in neighbouring Benin Republic.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported on Sunday, October 13 that the country's ambassador to the Francophone neighbour, Kayode Oguntuase, said there was no truth in the report that the embassy in Cotonou was attacked.
Oguntuase said he had been bombarded with calls trying to confirm the reports which they got from a trending online video, but he told NAN that nothing of the sort happened.
Oguntuase said: “The Embassy wishes to state that this news is fake; the embassy of Nigeria in Cotonou was never attacked and the embassy is not under any form of attack."
Legit.ng reports that the false claims of attack on the embassy and the ambassador's consequent denial came several weeks after the Nigerian government shut its embassy with its neighbour Benin.
Explaining the reason for the closure, Nigerian leader, President Muhammadu Buhari, said recently that the country was trying to curb smuggling of goods through its borders.
President Buhari is particularly concerned about the smuggling in of foreign rice through Nigeria's border with Benin in the southwest and parts of the north, saying it was affecting local production despite huge investments by federal government.
Nigerian youths are ready to take up the mantle of leadership - Femi Adeyeye - on Legit TV