Boko Haram: Nigeria and Russia to sign military deal

Boko Haram: Nigeria and Russia to sign military deal

- President Muhammadu Buhari is scheduled to sign a military deal with President Vladimir Putin on the side-lines of a Russia-Africa summit in the Black Sea city of Sochi

- The Nigerian ambassador to Russia, Steve Ugbah, says the deal with Russian will help Nigeria crush Boko Haram

- Ugbah further discloses that the deal will include the purchase of military hardware like helicopters, planes, tanks and other military equipment

The Russian Federation could help Nigeria battle Boko Haram terrorists if both countries sign a military-technical cooperation deal scheduled to take place in October 2019.

Reuters reported on Friday, October 11, that that the Nigerian ambassador to Russia, Steve Ugbah, told Russia's RIA news agency in an interview that President Muhammadu Buhari is due to meet President Vladimir Putin on the side-lines of a Russia-Africa summit in the Black Sea city of Sochi.

"We're sure that with Russian help we'll manage to crush Boko Haram, given Russia's experience combating Islamic State in Syria," the Nigerian envoy was reported to have said.

Ugbah further disclosed that the deal with Russia will include the purchase of military hardware like helicopters, planes, tanks and other military equipment.

He expressed the hope that President Buhari will finalise the deal between Russia and Nigeria which he said had already been drafted.

Ugbah noted that Russia's help in Nigeria's counter-insurgency war will be of benefit following the way the country helped defeat Islamic State terrorists in Syria.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army says it has captured 10 suspected key Boko Haram members at Bitta in Gwoza LGA of Borno, trying to escape the troops’ sustained onslaught on them.

The Nigerian Army operations media coordinator, Col Aminu Iliyasu, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday, October 12, in Abuja.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

He said that a successful sting operation conducted on October 9 by troops of the 26 task force brigade led to the arrest of the suspects, The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

According to him, many of those arrested have been identified to have operated combat vehicles during the infamous Boko Haram attack on Gwoza in 2014.

In another report, the Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC), an Islamic group, has appealed to the federal government to intensify efforts in making sure the 112 Chibok girls still in Boko Haram’s den regain freedom.

Professor Ishaq Akintola, the director of MURIC made the appeal in a statement issued in Lagos on Friday, October 11.

Akintola described the abduction as a huge blow to the country’s security apparatus, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel