- Justice Samira Bature struck out a N500 million aggravated suit filed which was filed by Ali Konduga
- Konduga is a former spokesperson of Boko Haram who had dragged the DG of SSS and the AGF to court over alleged breach of his fundamental rights
- The former Boko Haram spokesperson, however, later filed an application for discontinuance making the judge strike out the suit
Justice Samira Bature of an FCT high court, Maitama has struck out a N500 million aggravated suit filed which was filed by Ali Konduga, a former spokesperson of Boko Haram.
Bature on Thursday, October 10, struck out the suit after Konduga's lawyer, Mohammed Tola, filed an application to discontinue the case.
Konduga had dragged the director-general of State Security Services (SSS) and the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and minister of justice to court over alleged breach of his fundamental rights.
He claimed that he was kept in detention for an extra three years after serving his three-year jail term before he was released in 2016.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Konduga was convicted by a chief magistrates’ court in Abuja and sentenced to three years imprisonment for criminal intimidation in 2011.
Konduga claimed that he was kept in the custody of the SSS instead of the conventional prison to serve his term because the government wanted him to serve as a key witness to prove a terrorism charge against a senator in a Federal High Court in Abuja.
He further stated as of the time of his release, he was never called to testify in the matter or any other matter.
Konduga said he was taken to the SSS’s office in Maiduguri on September 8, 2016, and was released on September 9, 2016, to his parents.
He further claimed that the SSS offered his family N700,000 when he was released, and informed his family that the money was meant for his medical treatment.
Konduga said the SSS' gesture showed that it knew he was entitled to compensation for his alleged illegal and unlawful detention, adding that the security agency refused to pay him any other compensation except the N700,000.
He further stated that some individuals attacked him after he was released in 2016 and he sustained head injury from the attack.
He added that as a result of the injury he sustained, the police from GRA police station, Maiduguri, Borno, took him into protective custody and later referred him to the Federal Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital in Maiduguri.
He, therefore, demanded an unreserved public apology in three national newspapers and prayed for an order of the court, directing the respondents to jointly and severally pay him N500 million as aggravated damages and compensation for the illegal, unconstitutional, and unlawful detention.
In his ruling, Justice Bature noted that the respondents, both the DSS boss and the AGF, had earlier pointed out that the court had no jurisdiction to handle the matter.
He, therefore, struck out the case since the defendant had also filed the application for discontinuance.
Clementine Nebo, counsel for the AGF, did not object to the notice of withdrawal but said a proper motion should be presented to the court.
In view of this, Konduga‘s counsel then prayed for a short adjournment to enable them to file a motion for withdrawal.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Nigerian Army arrested 10 Boko Haram terrorists in Pula, Borno state.
This was disclosed by the army which said the terrorists were arrested on Wednesday, October 9.
The operation that led to the arrest of the terrorists was conducted in conjunction with members of the civilian joint task force.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Nigerians set 2nd term agenda for President Buhari | - on Legit TV