- N135 million is said to have been recovered from Maj Gen Hakeem Otiki who has been accused of stealing and diverting cash belonging to the Nigerian Army
- About N160M released by the Army to its Sokoto division had gone missing in transit between Sokoto and Kaduna
- Otiki is currently still battling to get approval to travel abroad for medical treatment, on or before October 15
N135 million is said to have been recovered from Maj Gen Hakeem Otiki who has been accused of stealing and diverting cash belonging to the Nigerian Army.
Otiki is standing trial before a court martial, and has pleaded not guilty. The general is also seeking leave from the tribunal to travel to Florida, USA for medical treatment, The Nation reports.
Legit.ng gathers that Otiki has also pleaded with the tribunal to unfreeze his account which the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) placed under Post No Debit (PND).
About N160M released by the Army to its Sokoto division had gone missing in transit between Sokoto and Kaduna as Otiki was said to have detailed his escorts to guard one Alhaji Abo Aliu from Sokoto to Kaduna with the sum of N100,000,000.00 and $86,000.00.
However, the armed escorts reportedly connived and dispossessed Alhaji Abo of the money which was reportedly given to him by the suspect, between Funtua and Zaria.
The incident led to Otiki’s arrest and trial.
However, reports state that prosecution witnesses, including investigators, have revealed at the ongoing trial, how N135 million was recovered from the Army officer.
One of those who probed the allegations said in part: “In the course of the investigation, the team sent a letter to the general financial intelligence unit, requesting to connect the accused senior officer’s phone number with his bank details.
“We also wrote a letter to the Army intelligence, their tech unit, requesting a forensic analysis of the phone of the accused. The team also wrote a letter to the CAC.
“Furtherance to the investigation, the team got hold of some monies that were carted away by the ‘accused’. The team recovered N15,382,000.00 and $6,600. Furthermore, another sum of N20,000,000.00 was also recovered in the course of this investigation.
“Another sum of N100,000,000.00 was equally recovered in the course of the investigation.”
Otiki is currently still battling to get the court’s approval to travel abroad for medical treatment, on or before October 15.
The suspect said his health has been failing him, having undergone spinal cord surgery in the past.
Recall that Legit.ng previously reported that the trial of Major General Hakeem Otiki, over the theft of N400 million and misconduct had commenced.
Otiki is facing a five-count charge bordering on disobedience to military order and diversion of the said sum before the General Court Martial (GCM) sitting at Asokoro, Abuja.
According to a source, although the defence counsel did not object to the charges instituted against the former GOC, he pleaded not guilty to all of them.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Presidency, Nigerians give their thoughts on the fight against corruption - on Legit TV: