ASUU splits as parrallel body emerges

ASUU splits as parrallel body emerges

- University teachers may not be able to speak in one voice again

- A splinter group has emerged from ASUU

- The union had in many occasion engaged the federal government on the need for good welfare of its members

The report by the Nation indicates that some university lecturers have broken away from the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to form a new group, Congress of University Academics (CONUA).

Legit.ng reports that national coordinator of CONUA, Niyi Ismaheel, said that the lecturers decided to form the new group to redefine unionism and restore peace and stability in universities.

He spoke to reporters at its first national stakeholder forum at the Obafemi Awolowo University- Ile Ife (OAU).

According to the newspaper, a copy of his address was obtained on Sunday, October 6, in Abuja.

Ismaheel said that the new union would form a new approach of engagement in addressing the welfare of its members and to put to an end to “the unnecessary wasting of student’s academic time as a result of frequent strike action.”

Boko Haram: APC governor Zulum goes spiritual, engages 30 clerics for prayers in Makkah

“The union is putting necessary documentation in place for official recognition by the university management and the government,” he added.

The newspaper also noted that the minister of labour and employment, Chris Ngige, confirmed that the union has applied to be registered by the ministry.

The minister said that he received their application in April this year.

Ngige said that a committee has been set up to look at their application.

“They have not been registered yet. Their application is in the ministry. They submitted it even before I left. They submitted the application in April. It has not been treated.

“We are still looking at their application. I asked a committee to look at it. When we look at the committee report we will know,” the minister said.

ASUU president, Biodun Ogunyemi, did not respond to a text message sent to him, adding that he neither picked nor returned calls placed to his mobile numbers as at the time of filing this report.

N30,000 minimum wage: Battle line drawn as labour refuses to back down, rejects sack option

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Ngige declared that the federal government commenced payment of the controversial N30,000 minimum wage to workers.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.

Pensioner: Buhari has not paid me since he came into power | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit Newspaper

Mailfire view pixel