Xenophobia: My husband was killed in 2012 attacks, SA police did nothing - Returnee laments

Xenophobia: My husband was killed in 2012 attacks, SA police did nothing - Returnee laments

- One of the Nigerian returnees from South Africa, Blessing Chioma, has accused the country’s police of failing to act when her husband was killed in a xenophobic attack

- The widow said she had reported the matter to the police but nothing was done and the case was eventually closed

- Chioma said she came back so she could take care of her children, but returned with nothing because her shop was burnt

One of the Nigerian returnees from South Africa, Blessing Chioma, has accused the country’s police of failing to act when her husband was killed in a xenophobic attack in 2012.

In an exclusive chat with The Cable, Chioma said living in South Africa without her husband became unbearable so she had to return to Nigeria.

Legit.ng gathers that the widow said she had reported the matter to the police but nothing was done and the case was eventually closed.

Read also

Serial killing in Rivers: Police rescue woman in hotel, arrest attacker

Xenophobia: My husband was killed, SA police did nothing - Returnee laments
Blessing Chioma has accused the South African police of failing to act when her husband was killed in a xenophobic attack (Photo credit: The Cable)
Source: UGC

She said: “I’m coming from South Africa, Johannesburg; I was married to a Nigerian, but South Africans killed him during the xenophobic attacks.

“I reported the case to the police, they know about it; they look for the guys, but you won’t know them because they come in groups, so nothing was done, the case is closed.

”Since then I’ve been coping with the children, but I returned them to Nigeria because I was no more meeting up in training them. So they’re here now in Nigeria; I came back to take care of them, but we came with nothing because they burnt our shops.”

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Recall that Legit.ng previously reported that the Lagos state government on Wednesday, September 18, gave the sum of N20,000 to each returnee of the second batch of 315 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa.

Read also

UPDATED: South Africa grants Air Peace landing permit in South Africa

The fresh batch of returnees arrived a week after another 187 Nigerians fleeing xenophobia came back from South Africa.

Xenophobia: My husband was killed, SA police did nothing - Returnee laments
Some of the returnees pictured upon arrival in Nigeria
Source: UGC

The joyous returnees arrived at the Cargo Wing of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos at about 7.21pm aboard an Air Peace B777 aircraft with registration number 5N-BWI.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Xenophobia: Abike Dabiri-Erewa reveals plans for South Africa returnees - on Legit TV:

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel