B/Haram: Nigeria has 22,000 missing people; highest in the world - Red Cross

B/Haram: Nigeria has 22,000 missing people; highest in the world - Red Cross

- The International Committee of the Red Cross says at least 22,000 Nigerians have been reported as missing in Boko Haram-related attacks

- The relief organisation said it found out that while fleeing attacks, families in the north-east are often separated, while some are kidnapped or detained

- Since the start of the Boko Haram insurgency about 10 years ago, over 12,000 persons have reportedly been killed and at least 2.2 million people have been displaced in the north-east

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) says at least 22,000 Nigerians have been reported as missing in Boko Haram-related attacks.

The organisation, in a statement released on Thursday, September 12, said the figure represents the highest number of missing persons it had registered, The Cable reports.

Legit.ng gathers that the ICRC said as at the time they went missing, “nearly 60 percent” of those missing were minors.

ICRC president, Peter Maurer, said: “Every parent’s worst nightmare is not knowing where their child is. This is the tragic reality for thousands of Nigerian parents, leaving them with the anguish of a constant search.

Xenophobia: Amidst attacks on Nigerians, others, S/African president cancels plan to attend UN meeting

“People have the right to know the fate of their loved ones, and more needs to be done to prevent families from being separated in the first place.”

The relief organisation said it found out that while fleeing attacks, families in the north-east are often separated, while some are kidnapped or detained.

Falmata Amodu, the mother of a boy who went missing in 2013 at age 10 while fleeing an attack, told the organisation of her grief whenever she remembers her missing child.

She was quoted as saying: “What troubles me is that I haven’t heard whether he is dead or alive. I just don’t know. Whenever I cook food for his siblings, I think about him.

“For the three years that we stayed in Maiduguri, my husband was very distressed and would repeatedly have nightmares. He would call the name of our abducted son, ‘Alkali, Alkali, Alkali’ all the time.”

Xenophobia: Apostle Suleman offers free flight tickets for evacuation of Nigerians from SA

Since the start of the Boko Haram insurgency about 10 years ago, over 12,000 persons have reportedly been killed and at least 2.2 million people have been displaced in the north-east.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Recall that Legit.ng previously reported that the ICRC said no fewer than 17,000 Nigerians were missing and their whereabouts unknown as a result of the Boko Haram insurgency and herdsmen-farmers’ clashes in the country.

The organisation stated this in its “Facts and Figures Report: January to June 2018”.

The report read in part: “In the north-east, where the armed conflict is now in its ninth year, violence continues to claim civilian lives and destroy property. Hundreds of thousands of the displaced persons still live in overcrowded camps in the regional centres and depend almost entirely on humanitarian assistance.

Xenophobia: Fleeing Nigerians arrive Lagos from South Africa

“The ICRC and NRCS are currently seeking to clarify the fate and whereabouts of about 17,000 missing persons in Nigeria, including over 7,100 missing children.”

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Survivors of Boko Haram - on Legit TV:

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel