The long-awaited Apple Event just has happened, and all iPhone lovers and tech junkies cannot wait to examine all the specs of the new iPhone 11. So what do the new devices look like? What are their specs? Are the cameras as good as they say? Here is all we know about the new iPhone 11.
When is the iPhone 11 launch happening?
Apple is known to schedule its famous Apple Special Events whenever the company has a new product in the market that it wishes to unveil to the public. This time it is no different. The iPhone 11 launch took place last night (10th September) at 10 a.m. Pacific times, 1 p.m. Eastern time and 6 p.m. GMT. The main was held in Cupertino, California at the Steve Jobs Theater.
What iPhones did Apple launch?
Unlike other times when the company would just unveil one handset, this time around, they unveiled not one but three phones. They are:
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
What are the prices of the new iPhone 11?
The new launch came with the lowest prices for a new handset that Apple has ever done. This is because the iPhone 11 will be cheaper than the Pro and the Pro Max versions.
The prices are as follows: iPhone 11 will retail from $699, iPhone 11 Pro from $999 while the Pro Max version will retail as from $1,099. The new handsets will be available for pre-order from the Apple website as from 13th September 2019 at 5:00 a.m. (Pacific Daylight Time). They will start shipping and be available in stores as from 20th September 2019.
Specs of the iPhone 11
Being the cheapest of the newly launched handsets, one would wonder why this was the case. In case this has been bugging you, here are the full specs of the new iPhone 11.
- Its battery power is expected to last an hour longer than the iPhone XR
- Storage will be 64 GB, 128 GB and 512 GB
- Wi-Fi 6 support
- 12 megapixels on both the front and back cameras. These cameras have both the wide and ultra-wide lenses. However, unlike the Pro and Pro Max versions, this will not have a triple camera system. The camera will also have a night mode to help you take better pictures at night or in low light environments.
- The new cameras also come with the capability of taking 4K videos
- The selfie camera also has a slow-motion option for videos.
- A13 Bionic chip. Apple claims that this is the fastest CPU in the market at the moment. It will also have iOS 13.
- Spacial audio that gives the user a theatre-like experience while using the cellular device.
If you would like this version of the iPhone 11, you can choose one in either red, black, white, yellow, lavender or mint green. It should also be noted that this version is meant to replace the iPhone XR.
Major differences between the XR and the 11 are in:
- Pixel density
- Software - the newer handset uses iOS 13 while XR uses iOS 12
- Megapixels in the front camera of the new device are higher than in the older handset. 12 megapixels versus 7 megapixels
- Processor - XR used the Apple Bionic 12 while the new one has the Apple Bionic 13.
Specs of the iPhone 11 Pro and the iPhone 11 Pro Max
Seeing that the Pro and Pro Max versions are more expensive than the iPhone 11, it means that their specs have to be higher than the 11 version.
- They have a "Super Retina XDR" display that supports HDR 10 with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos sound
- Unlike the current handsets that have a glossy finish, these two new ones will have a matte finish
- Storage space of 64 GB, 256 GB and 512 GB
- Triple rear cameras with 4x optical zoom: wide, ultrawide, telephoto lenses (OIS for wide and telephoto)
- 4K video for both the front and back cameras. The front camera also has the slow-motion features for selfie videos
- Fast charge 18-watt adapter
- Stronger shatter-resistant glass making sure that your heart no longer stops every time your phone accidentally falls
The Pro and Pro Max versions come in the colours midnight green, space grey, silver and gold.
All three versions have faster facial ID recognition, are water and dust resistant, support Wi-Fi 6 and include wireless charging among much more.
With the Pro version, the battery lasts up to 4 hours longer than the current phones while the Pro Max version's battery lasts up to 5 hours longer. The 11 Pro has a 5.8-inch display while the Pro Max has a 6.8-inch display
Will the iPhone 11 support 5G network?
Unlike other phones in the market like the Huawei Mate X and the recently released Samsung Galaxy S10 that support 5G network, the new cellular devices will not be able to support these data speeds. Apple seeks to hold off until 2020 before joining the 5G network bandwagon. As of now the handsets only support both 3G and 4G networks perfectly.
Other Apple products that were launched with the iPhone 11
Apple can never just launch one product and be done with it. They always seek to make sure that all their consumers are covered in every department concerning their electronics. Here are the other Apple products that were launched on 10th September:
- iPad. The 10.2-inch pad has a smart connector that allows the user to connect a keyboard to it, thus turning it into a mini laptop. It also has the Apple pencil support, a great camera, sensors and ultra wireless. The iPad is also made from recycled aluminium. Unlike the handset that has an A13 chip, the iPad has an A10 Fusion chip. Shipping for this model will be as of 30th September.
- Apple Watch. The new Apple Watch Series 5 is better than the Watch Series 4 that came out last year. Some of its new features are a built-in compass, four case types including titanium and ceramic cases. Great news for women is that the app now has a period-tracking app in it. There is also an app store right in the watch, thus negating the need to install the app on your iPhone to access it on the watch. The watch has some great safety measures like fall detection, emergency services allowing you to call for help and medical ID. The watches come in colours like silver gold, space grey and space black. Price-wise, the iPad will retail for $329 while the Apple Watch will retail for $399 for the GPS aluminium model and $499 for the cellular aluminium version.
- Apple TV+: It will be available from 1st November and will be available in over 100 countries. The streaming service is available at only $4.99 per month, making it among the cheapest subscription services around at the moment.
As of yesterday, anyone who buys an Apple product will get a year worth of Apple TV subscription for free.
It should also be noted that the newly launched handsets have a water-resistant IP68 level which is higher than the older handsets. This means that they are expected to last underwater longer than the current 30 minutes.
These were the top details about the iPhone 11 launch. Will you pre-order it or take stores by storm on 20th September? Whatever the case, it is clear that these are incredible products all Apple fans were waiting with anticipation.