Xenophobia: Armed S/African protesters take to streets again, demand that foreigners leave

Xenophobia: Armed S/African protesters take to streets again, demand that foreigners leave

- Hostel residents in eastern Johannesburg, South Africa, marched on Sunday, September 8 demanding that foreigners go back to where they came from

- Without indicating reasons for their call, the group has maintained that it wants foreign nationals to leave

- The protesters say they are angry that foreign nationals are taking jobs and owning houses

Residents of hostels in eastern Johannesburg, South Africa, marched along Jules Street in the area on Sunday, September 8, demanding that "foreigners must go back to where they came from".

According to Sowetan Live, the marchers carried weapons such as knobkerries, as they headed to Jules Park, where they were to be addressed by a Zulu tribe leader and notable politician, Mangosuthu Buthelezi.

See video below:

Legit.ng gathers that without indicating reasons for their call, the group has maintained that it wants foreign nationals to leave.

South African President Cyril Ramphosa had condemned the attacks on foreigners, in the past week.

Xenophobia: Youths prefer death to staying here - Activist blames leaders for attacks on Nigerians in S/Africa

However, the leadership of the hostel dwellers in Johannesburg asked the government to engage citizens about finding solutions to the clashes with foreign nationals.

Speaking in eastern Johannesburg, chairman of the hostel headmen (izinduna) in Gauteng, Siphiwe Mhlongo, said: “We are not happy with how government has tried to resolve the problems that the country is facing.

“The government must come speak to the people and explain what it is going to do with the foreign nationals who are here illegally.”

Mhlongo said residents were angry that foreign nationals were taking jobs, and were also not happy about the drugs and RDP houses being owned by foreigners.

He said: "Everyone who is in South Africa has that feeling that foreign nationals must go back home. But we don't say foreign nationals must be beaten up; we are leaders."

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Xenophobia: Presidential aide says many Nigerians not interested in leaving South Africa

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Catholic bishops in South Africa lashed out at the government for saying the attack against Nigeria was carried out by a few criminal elements.

Buti Tigagale, a South African Catholic archbishop, said what happened in the country could only be described as xenophobia.

The archbishop said no arrests were made while Nigerian businesses were being attacked and looted.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Nigerians’ retaliation over Xenophobic attacks by South Africans; right or wrong? - on Legit TV:

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel