- The response of the Nigerian government on the xenophobic attacks in South Africa has been described as weak and belated
- This was the position of a prominent pro-democracy and civil rights advocacy group, Human Rights Writers Asociation of Nigeria (HURIWA)
- HURIWA said the withdrawal by Nigeria from the World Economic forum in South Africa was late in coming
A prominent pro-democracy and civil rights advocacy group, Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA) described the response of the Nigerian government on the xenophobic attacks in South Africa as “weak.”
HURIWA in a media statement sent to journalists on Wednesday, September 4 and signed by its the national coordinator Comrade Emmanuel Onwubiko, frowned at the attitude of the Nigerian government, adding that “President Muhammadu Buhari has not been forceful in reacting to the killings of Nigerians in South Africa.”
The group urged the president to “take concrete, forceful and impactful actions against South Africa.”
The statement further urged the president to “put an end to the simmering insinuations that his administration has so far failed to act decisively because majority of those affected by the xenophobic violence in South Africa are Igbo whom he the president had stated never voted for him.”
HURIWA said it was regrettable that the government is still just thinking of what to do “when other smaller African nations have rolled out series of sanctions against the South African nation following the failure of the South African government to stop the incessant violent crimes against other black Africans living in South Africa. ”
HURIWA said the withdrawal by Nigeria from the World Economic forum in South Africa was late in coming since even smaller African nations had acted much earlier than Nigeria
The group also said it was laughable that “Nigeria under the current dispensation is becoming a giant with clay feet.”
“The action that were taken by some countries like DR Congo, Rwanda, Zambia and Zimbabwe in pulling out of the World Economic Forum in SA is visionary. It shows that, that is how committed statesman ought to behave in the face of such cruel xenophobic attacks targeting their people.
“We think that this may have instigated the delayed action of the Nigerian President Buhari in pulling out of the proposed world economic forum in South Africa.
“The Nigerian government must implement the foreign policy objectives that is of necessity to protecting the sanctity of the Nigerian life globally,” the group stated.
Meanwhile, the Advocacy for Integrity and Economic Development (AIED) has advised the federal government of Nigeria to put all options on the table in dealing with the unending xenophobic attacks against Nigerians in South Africa.
The organization in a statement on Tuesday, August 3 by its director of media and publicity, O’Seun John, condemned the targeted harassment, killings and destruction of Nigerian business in South Africa allegedly aided by the South African government.
“The Nigerian government should as a matter of urgency begin the process of nationalizing all assets and businesses of South African interest in the country,” the statement said.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Nigerians’ retaliation over Xenophobic attacks by South Africans; right or wrong? | Legit TV