- Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz's heavyweight re-match could be staged later this year
- The Mexican caused an upset earlier this year after beating the Briton after seven rounds
- Ruiz has now denied that he signed a deal to stage the re-match in Saudi Arabia
Current heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz has insisted that he did not agree to face Anthony Joshua in Saudi Arabia in their re-match later this year.
The Mexican-American pugilist says he prefers to have the second leg of their fight in New York as he hopes to retain the titles he won from the British-Nigerian boxer.
BBC reports that the duo have agreed to the rematch to be staged on December 7 but the venue remains a doubt for bulky fighter.
The 29-year-old told ESPN in Mexico: "I have not signed anything yet, we are negotiating everything."
Asked about a Saudi Arabia contest he said: "They want to do it there but we have to see where we negotiate with my team. I would like it in New York again."
Ruiz floored Joshua in the seventh round of their initial fight at the at Madison Square Garden in New York on June 1st- with the former champion kissing the canvass four times.
And the Mexican walked away with the IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight titles, becoming the first world champion from his country in the division.
Joshua triggered the re-match clause in their contract with promoter Hearn repeatedly saying Ruiz consented to the deal.
The promoter said that the Joshua's camp only need to give his opponent information about "the time, date and venue" and says the champion could face legal proceedings if the fight does not happen.
BBC also reveal that organisers in Saudi Arabia have reportedly dropped about £33 million to stage the fight.
Meanwhile, Amnesty International claims the fight move will provides "opportunity for the Saudi authorities to try to 'sportswash' their severely tarnished image."
While Ruiz has been priced as underdog for the re-match by the bookmakers despite the upset he caused earlier this year.
PAY ATTENTION: Place your bet and get the chance to win big on 1xbet
He stated that Joshua is "not good at boxing."
Asked on Wednesday about facing Joshua again, he said: "I think he will want to run a little longer, move, but he is too big, he has many muscles and it will be very difficult for him."
Legit.ng earlier reported that British boxer of Nigerian descent Anthony Joshua has labeled former undisputed heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis 'a clown'.
The 53-year-old former boxer had earlier criticised the 29-year-old after losing all his belts to Andy Ruiz Jr in June.
Joshua's defeat prompted Lennox Lewis to take to social media where he doubted if his fellow countryman was prepared for the fight against Ruiz.
Wait a minute! Do you like to predict and win?
You have that opportunity now to place your bet in one of the fastest rising bookmakers in Nigeria - 1xbet
Click here to place your bet and get the chance to win big. Hurry now!
Okal: Why I quit football for music - female musician | Legit TV