- President Buhari has signed the Nigerian Correctional Service Bill into law
- The new bill changes the Nigerian Prisons Service Act, renaming the prisons to correctional service
- The new correctional service is made up of two faculties called custodial and non-custodial service
President Muhammadu Buhari has assented the Nigerian Correctional Service bill into law. The act changes the Nigerian Prisons Service Act.
The senior special assistant to the president on National Assembly matters, Ita Enang, made this known on Wednesday, August 14, The Cable reports
With the signing, the Nigerian Prisons Service will now be called the Nigerian Correctional Service.
Enang said according to the law, correctional service has two main faculties which are custodial service and non-custodial service.
The presidential aide said that some of the functions of the custodial service are
- Custody and control of people imprisoned in safe, secure and good conditions
- Conveying of prisoners to and from courts in motorised formations
- Identifying the existence and causes of anti-social behaviours of inmates
- Conducting risk and needs assessment aimed at developing appropriate correctional treatment methods for reformation, rehabilitation and reintegration
- Implementing reformation and rehabilitation programmes to enhance the reintegration of inmates back into the society.
- Empowering inmates through the deployment of educational and vocational skills training programmes.
Enang added that: “The non-custodial faculty of the correctional service is responsible for the administration of non-custodial measures, namely: community service, probation, parole, restorative justice measures and such other measures as a court of competent jurisdiction may order.
"Restorative justice measure approved in the Act include victim-offender mediation, family group conferencing, community mediation and other conciliatory measures as may be deemed necessary pre-trial, trial during imprisonment or even post- imprisonment stages.”
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
Meanwhile, Legit.ng earlier reported that Buhari on Wednesday, August 7, assented to three bills, one of which is the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (Amendment) Act, 2019.
The other two bills are Defence Intelligence Agency Civilian Pensions Board (Establishment) Act, 2019 and National Biosafety Management Agency (Amendment) Act, 2019.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Nigerians set 2nd term agenda for President Buhari | Legit TV