- The attention of President Muhammadu Buhari has been drawn to the worsening health condition of Sheikh Ibrahim El-Zakzaky
- The call was made by 186 doctors from seven nations who said that El-Zakzaky should be flown abroad for urgent treatment
- Among the health issues listed by the doctors are eye and heart diseases and the possibility of lead poisoning due to the bullets in the cleric's body
A body of 186 doctors from seven nations has written a letter to President Muhammadu Buhari urging him to release the leader of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN) Sheikh Ibrahim El-Zakzaky for immediate treatment abroad.
The doctors said that going by El-Zakzaky's deteriorating health conditions, the federal government should do its utmost to see that he is attended to medically as soon as possible.
In their letter to President Buhari, the foreign doctors said that El-Zakzaky has symptoms of eye and heart diseases and is suffering from lead poisoning due to the bullets in his body, The Nation reports.
Read the letter in full below:
In the name of God, the healer, from the community of doctors to the president of the Republic of Nigeria, Mr Buhari.
In the past several months, the world has constantly received troubling news regarding the health of one of the prominent figures in Nigeria, Shaikh Ibrahim Zakzaky. Both Skaikh Ibrahim Zakzaky and his wife are kept in prison and the health status of both of them is very alarming.
We have chosen to be doctors even after knowing that this job is very difficult and troublesome, but we chose to save people’s lives and preferred the health of the society over our personal interests.
According to the medical reports regarding the health status of Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky:
1. He is suffering from a total blindness in the left eye, and is also suffering from vision problems in the right eye including glaucoma and progressive macular atrophy.
2. According to the diagnosis of the visiting physicians, Shaikh Zakzaky will lose his vision sooner or later if the current circumstances do not change.
3. He has shown symptoms of Ischemic heart disease which can lead to Myocardial Infraction.
4. He is also suffering from severe cervical spondylosis which has resulted to nerve root compression and symptoms are progressive causing insomnia.
5. The experiments show that he has heavy metal toxicity including lead and cadmium. laboratory tests that are performed on May 31st, 2019 show that blood lead level is 171.94µg/dl. Later on June 18th, 2019 this level was reported to be 231.48µg while in the last laboratory test the blood lead level was three times more than the toxicity level (grade 5 of poisoning).
6. Based on the points highlighted above, Shaikh Ibrahim Zakzaky should be transferred to a well- equipped medical center that has Neuro-ophthalmologist, glaucoma specialist and low vision expert, cardiologist, orthopedist and neurologist. Also he may need to have a surgery to reduce intraocular pressure.
7. We, doctors of different nationalities cannot take the health of any human for granted. This is something that is inherent in our obligation as doctors. Ignoring the critical health status of Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky can end up in irreparable consequences.
8. We request the government and parliament of Nigeria to immediately transfer him to a well-equipped hospital to prevent any unfortunate incidents."
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that El-Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenat had arrived India where they were both billed for treatment.
The duo arrived Delhi, India in the morning of Tuesday, August 13 many hours after they left the shores of Nigeria.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Nigeria Latest News: Shiites Prepare to Bury Their Members 48 Hours After Clash With Security Forces - Legit TV