EFCC raid: Yari threatens to sue 3 media houses over “fake news”

EFCC raid: Yari threatens to sue 3 media houses over “fake news”

- Former governor Abdulaziz Yari of Zamfara has threatened legal action against some media organisations for publishing alleged fake news

- The ex governor chided the media houses for reporting that exotic vehicles had been uncovered in his house and that he had misappropriated funds meant for IDP’s and the environment

- On the issue of the alleged IDPs N35bn, Yari challenged the papers to publish the names of persons or institutions that gave him such amount of money

Former governor Abdulaziz Yari of Zamfara has threatened legal action against some media organisations for publishing what he described as fake news against him.

Yari issued the threat in a statement on Thursday, August 8 in Gusau by his spokesman, Alhaji Ibrahim Dosara, NAN reports.

READ ALSO: Nigeria has no political prisoners - Buhari group replies PDP

Legit.ng gathers that this followed the search on Yari’s Talata-Mafara residence on August 4 by operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Operatives of the EFCC stormed the former governor’s residence at his Talata-Mafara country home.

Dosara alleged in the statement that three media outfits (names withheld) were out to smear the image of his principal.

He said, for instance, that a report titled “Re: Exotic automobiles uncovered in former gov Yari’s home’’ was untrue.

According to him, the concerned media outfits had captioned their reports in the following manner: “N2.35 billion IDPs fund was misappropriated by the former governor.

“N3. 51 billion ecological fund was misappropriated by the former governor.

“These are the allegations made against the former governor and credited to the EFCC.”

He therefore advised the media outfits to retract their reports within 24 hours or face legal action.

The spokesman however said that the Yari camp was waiting to see what the EFFC would do to the whistle blower, which caused the investigation.

Dosara said the investigation did not reveal anything incriminating against Yari.

He pointed out that the ex-governor’s house in Talata-Mafara had no space to accommodate the so-called 21 luxury cars.

“The allegation levelled against the former governor that he misappropriated the N51 billion given to him for ecological disasters/problems is not true.

“Let these newspapers go and verify their facts, as the ecological funds were distributed during the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) administration of Dr Goodluck Jonathan and no All Progressives Congress (APC) governor was given a dime for the purpose.

“On the issue of the alleged IDPs N35 billion the newspapers accused the former governor of, I challenge these newspapers to publish to the public, the name of persons or institutions that gave him such amount of money or indeed any penny for the IDPs.

“Otherwise, the former governor will take legal action,” he said.

The EFCC’s investigation came on the heels of a transition committee report set up by Governor Bello Matawalle.

The committee, headed by the former governor’s deputy, Malam Ibrahim Wakkala, questioned several financial transactions of the Yari-led administration.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Recall that Legit.ng previously reported that ex governor Abdulazizi Yari stated that following the raid of his house at Talata Mafara by operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, nothing incriminating was found.

The former governor’s media aide, Malam Ibrahim Dosara, said this in a statement released on Monday, August 5,

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Presidency, Nigerians give their thoughts on the fight against corruption - on Legit TV:

Source: Legit Newspaper

Mailfire view pixel