- Anthony Joshua's rematch with Andy Ruiz may not hold in the United Kingdom
- The 29-year-old was beaten in the seventh round by the Mexican-American in June
- The re-match is likely to be staged in the United States on December 14
Former world heavyweight champions Anthony Joshua has hinted that his re-match with Andy Ruiz might not take place in the United Kingdom.
It would be recalled that the British boxer of Nigerian descent was floored by the Mexican-American at the Madison Square Garden on June 1.
The 29-year-old managed to stretch the fight to the seventh round before finally kissing the canvass - and lost all his belts in the process.
According to Sky Sports, the Briton immediately activated his re-match clause - hoping that it would hold at Cardiff's Principality Stadium on December 14.
Meanwhile, Ruiz has a contrary view to that of his opposition and Joshua is now considering a neutral venue for the fight.
"We're doing a lot of talking about what he wants but he doesn't call the shots. I don't mind fighting in America because I've done it before," he told Sky Sports News.
"I went there off my own back so for the rematch I would love it to be in Cardiff but it's going to be on neutral ground; Ruiz is the champ so he will make some calls as well.
"I will battle for it to be in the UK because it's my stomping ground. I did one out there so lets do the rematch here.
PAY ATTENTION: Install Pitch Football App for FREE to get the latest football News & Scores
"There are two ends to it; one, I'd fight in Tijuana and Ruiz's uncle could be the referee and I'd still whoop him, but then there's the aspect of the British fans want to see me get those belts back.
"In the Olympics I tried to block out the energy in the room but it was the worst thing because I was fighting a battle I couldn't win.
"Walking out in Cardiff in front of 90,000 people screaming and rooting for you, that type of energy that goes through your body is unstoppable."
Joshua's promoter, Eddie Hearn earlier this week said the venue and date were close to being confirmed.
"I know, I think, where the fight is going, but I just have to wait for some paperwork to be tied up and then we'll make an announcement," he told Sky Sports .
"Cardiff is still a major option. We have two or three other options around the world for neutral venues.
"Neutral venues would give us a lot less headache with Andy Ruiz, but if it's Wales, it's Wales, and that's where the fight will be.
"But we're just waiting for some paperwork to be tied up and then [Ruiz Jr] will be alerted as to where that venue is."
Legit.ng earlier reported that Anthony Joshua's heavyweight bout against Mexican boxer Andy Ruiz will be staged in either New York City or Cardiff City later this year.
The unbeaten run of the British boxer came to an end when he was beaten for the first time in his professional career by Ruiz at the Madison Square Garden in New York City last month.
Joshua, who was born to a Nigerian parent kissed the canvass four times in their seven-round bout, before the judges eventually announced the Mexican winner on technical knockout grounds.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Man United legend Rio Ferdinand reveals his love for Nigerian Jollof rice | Legit TV