- President Muhammadu Buhari is said to have never asked the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation for any favour since he assumed office in 2015
- This was disclosed by the new group managing director of the corporation, Mele Kyari
- Kyari also says President Buhari does not interfere with what the management of NNPC does
The new group managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Mele Kyari, has said that President Muhammadu Buhari has never asked the corporation for any favour since he was elected in 2015.
Kyari, who stated this on Thursday, July 11, at a roundtable discussion to mark the 3rd African Anti-Corruption Day in Abuja organised by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Legit.ng gathers that the GMD also said that NNPC is committed to open government partnership.
He said: “The President has never asked to do anything for him in our transactions and he does not interfere with what we do. We will do our best to be transparent and open on whatever we do. We are accountable to this country.
“NNPC is the focal organisation for the Open Government Partnership. Whatever we are doing, we will make sure it is open.
“I urge all of us to be part of the anti-corruption campaign. Corruption can only thrive where there is discretion. We have reduced discretion to the barest minimum in what we do.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that Maikanti Baru sent a message to his successor as he retired as the group managing director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
Baru in a tweet on Sunday, July 7, noted that he was retiring from the service having clocked the statutory age of 60.
He thanked President Muhammadu Buhari for the opportunity to serve in the capacity at NNPC. Baru also wished the new group managing director, Mele Kyari, and his team success.
Also previously reported by Legit.ng was that a Federal High Court (FHC) in Lagos was asked to force President Muhammadu Buhari to appoint his ministers on time as provided by law so his second term administration could fully begin.
Kabir Akingbolu, a Lagos lawyer, filed a suit against the president and asked the FHC to declare that Buhari had failed in appointing the “requisite number of ministers as stipulated by law” and as such in breach of the law.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Which of President Buhari’s ministers should he retain for 2nd term? | Legit TV