Nigeria has 6th highest burden of Tuberculosis globally - Official

Nigeria has 6th highest burden of Tuberculosis globally - Official

- Nigeria is the 6th country with highest Tuberculosis burden the deputy director of the National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Programme

- Ahmad Muhammad said Nigeria accounts for 64% of the total burden of Tuberculosis (TB) in the world

- According to Muhammad, Tuberculosis is still a public health problem globally and Nigeria is not an exception

The deputy director of the National Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control Programme (NTBLCP), Ahmad Muhammad, has said that Nigeria accounts for 64% of the total burden of Tuberculosis (TB) in the world.

Stating that Nigeria has the highest TB burden in Africa, Muhammad said the country is ranked 6th in the world.

Speaking at a press briefing organised ahead of the 2019 National TB Conference in Abuja on Tuesday, Muhammad said the disease is still a public health problem globally and Nigeria is not an exception.

Announcing the forthcoming National TB Conference with the theme 'Building Stronger Partnerships to end TB in Nigeria' which will hold in Abuja from 17th to 18th July, Muhammad said called for private, corporate and public investment in the elimination of TB in Nigeria.

Representing the National Coordinator, NTBLCP, Adebola Lawanson, Muhammad said that Seven countries accounted for 64% of the total burden globally, with India bearing the brunt, followed by Indonesia, China, Philippines, Pakistan, Nigeria and South Africa.

READ ALSO: Presidential Election Tribunal: Atiku, PDP to play videos showing alleged rigging by APC

“Nigeria has the highest TB burden in Africa and ranked 6th in the world. Equally, Nigeria and Indian accounted for 48% of global TB deaths among HIV-negative people and for 43% of the combined total TB deaths in HIV-negative and HIV-positive people.” Muhammad said.

He also said that the NTBLCP in collaboration with the World Health Organisation (WHO), USAID, Global Fund and other non governmental organisation are putting in a lot to end TB in the country.

According to him, the National TB conference is an opportunity to bring together think tanks in the TB world to rub minds together and exhibit laudable innovations.

Also speaking on burden of TB in Nigeria, the Board Chair, Stop TB Partnership Nigeria, Lovett Lawson said that about $312 million will be needed to meet the target of ending the scourge of TB in the country by 2030.

Lawson said there is a need for the government to increase its current budget for Tuberculosis by 76% if Nigeria is to end the disease burden by 2030.

Lamenting the lack of adequate funding provided by government, Lawson said the FG and the international donors provides only 24%, leaving a funding gap of 76%

He said that if TB must become a thing of the past, there is the need to explore other sources of funding especially from corporate bodies and rich individuals.

“TB presently is a major public health problem with 8-10 million new cases diagnosed yearly which translates to one third of the world population with about 95% cases in developing countries.

“The rate of TB decline which was currently about 1.5 % would have to increase dramatically to about 10% globally by the year 2025, in order to meet the 2030 target of ending TB worldwide.” Lawson said.

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that 18 Nigerians die as a result of TB every hour across the country.

The information was disclosed by a representative of the United States Centre for Disease Control (US-CDC), Bethrand Odume, in Abuja on Thursday, March 14.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better

Medical Expert Speaks About High Rate of Maternal Death in Nigeria | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel