President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Mr. Mele Kolo Kyari as the new Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
A statement sent to Legit.ng on Thursday, June 20 by the NNPC spokesman, Mr. Ndu Ughamadu, stated that President Buhari also appointed alongside Kyari, seven new chief operating officers.
Until his new appointment, Kyari, a geologist, was Group General Manager, crude oil marketing division of NNPC and also doubled, since May, 2018, as Nigeria’s national representative to the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, OPEC.
According to the statement, President Buhari has directed that the new GMD and the newly appointed chief operating officers work with the current occupiers of the various offices till Sunday, July 7 towards a smooth transition on Monday, July 8 when their appointments would take effect to ensure a smooth transition.
However, the appointment of Mr. Farouk Garba Said (north-west), who is replacing a retiring chief operating officer, is effective from Friday, June, 28.
The newly appointed chief operating officers are:
1. Mr. Roland Onoriode Ewubare (south-south) – chief operating officer, upstream
2. Engr. Mustapha Yinusa Yakubu (north-central) – chief operating officer refining and petrochemicals
3. Engr. Yusuf Usman (north -east) - chief operating officer, gas and power
4. Ms. Lawrencia Nwadiabuwa Ndupu (south-east), chief operating officer Vvntures
5. Mr. Umar Isa Ajiya (north-west) - chief financial officer
6. Engr. Adeyemi Adetunji (south-west) - chief operating officer, downstream
7. Mr. Farouk Garba Said (north-west) - chief operating officer, corporate services.
Ughamadu stated in the release that NNPC Group Managing Director, Dr. Maikanti Baru, had congratulated the new appointees.
Kyari would be the 19th Group Managing Director of the NNPC.
Meanwhile, the NNPC says it will resume crude oil search in the Chad Basin immediately it gets clearance from security agencies in the country.
The current GMD, Dr Maikanti Baru, made the disclosure during a courtesy visit on him by the governor of Bauchi state, Senator Bala Mohammed in Abuja on Wednesday, June 19.
Follow LEGIT to keep pace with the latest news!
How Nigeria's democracy has fared in the last 20 years - Jega, Ezekwesili | Legit TV