- Governor Rotimi Akeredolu has survived a kidnap attempt on the Akure-Ibadan road
- Akeredolu said travelling on Nigerian roads has become a major source of worry for the rich and the poor
- The governor, however, said he and his colleagues are working towards curbing this menace
Rotimi Akeredolu, governor of Ondo state, on Sunday, June 9, disclosed that his security personnel were targeted when his convoy encountered a gang of kidnappers, boasting that he cannot be whisked away by the criminals.
The Cable reports that Akeredolu, who did not mention the exact date of the incident, said the suspects ran into the bush when the orderly attached to him opened fire.
The governor, however, declared that he and his colleagues were working towards ending the “siege to the southwest.”
According to him, “I have encountered them (kidnappers) before so security issue is not limited to the masses alone. My convoy was targetted but my security people shot into the air to scare them away.
"They fled into the bush on Akure-Ibadan road. We, as governors, will do something about the issue. We are discussing with the federal government. It is real that travellers are not safe on the road.
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
“It looks like it’s only the masses that are affected as the big men are enjoying themselves as they drive in convoy. Is that so?" Asked if he is afraid of being kidnapped, the governor said “Nobody can kidnap me, I have passed that stage.”
Legit.ng previously reported that Akeredolu said Ondo state needed complete overhauling in the area of security.
The governor's statement was in reaction to the report of the first Ondo state security summit organised in January 2019.
He vowed the state security council, state executive council and the state House of Assembly report will address the report to have a security policy document.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better
NAIJ.com visits kidnappers' den discovered in Lagos | Legit TV: