- Nigerian soldiers successfully repelled Boko Haram attacks in Madagali local government area in Adamawa state
- The troops also seized two gun trucks from the Boko Haram fighters during an encounter
- Residents of the local government commended the soldiers, saying the victory brought them hope
Troops of the Nigerian Army have reportedly repelled Boko Haram attacks after weeks of incessant attacks in Madagali local government area in Adamawa state.
According to Daily Trust, residents of Gulak, the headquarters of Madagali LGA were overjoyed on Wednesday, June 5, when soldiers returned with two gun trucks reportedly seized from Boko Haram fighters during an encounter.
Eye witnesses said the soldiers had mobilised from Gulak the previous night to intercept insurgents following an intelligence report of an impending attack on the town.
Residents said they were considering fleeing the town after sounds of blasts and gunfire rattled the air from the Borno side of the border amid reports that some neighbouring villages were under attack.
However, they decided to stay as the sight of some military vehicles moving out to face the insurgents brought some hope.
Legit.ng gathers that curious residents had been trooping to see the seized gun trucks parked at the military post despite restrictions.
"The military is now taking the war to the insurgents. We are very happy with the development. This is what people are discussing in the market and in their houses,” a resident, Salihu Salimu said.
The insurgents had reportedly attacked Izige and were moving towards Gulak when the troops led by one Lieutenant Usman Ibrahim intercepted them at Bitiku, killing some of them and forcing others to abandon their equipment.
A soldier and two vigilantes members were reportedly killed in the encounter .
The immediate past council chairman of Madagali, Muhammad Yusuf O.C., commended the military leadership in the area for their dedication and bravery, calling on federal government to deploy more troops and equipment to secure lives and property.
He said: “Most of the villages have been deserted due to insurgency attacks, but this kind of victory by our soldiers can bring hope to the residents. The state governor has expressed willingness to ensure security."
Madagali is part of the territory controlled by Boko Haram in 2014 before its liberation by Nigerian soldiers backed by local hunters in 2015.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Nigerian Army had reacted to media reports of recent attacks by Boko Haram insurgents on some communities and military bases in the northeastern part of the country.
The General Officer Commanding 7 Division of the Army, Brigadier General Abdulmalik Bulama, clarified the situation during an exclusive interview with Channels Television on Wednesday, June 5.
Brigadier General Bulama, who did not deny the attacks, however, described them as mere publicity stunts of the insurgents to stay relevant by attacking targets to keep them in the news.
He insisted that the military was winning the war against the terrorists, despite attacks targeted at soft targets and the military.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Exclusive: Freed Dapchi Girl Recounts Her Ordeal with Boko Haram (Nigeria Breaking News) Legit TV