Kwara governor’s aide says govt has not sacked any worker

Kwara governor’s aide says govt has not sacked any worker

- Kwara government said it had not sacked any worker in its employment as being rumoured

- A statement by the deputy chief press secretary to the governor, Agboola Olarewaju, carified the situation

- The statement noted that Gov. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq did not sack workers engaged by the previous administration

The Kwara government has debunked some media reports suggesting that some workers in the state government's workforce have been sacked.

A statement sent to journalists and signed by the deputy chief press secretary to the governor, Agboola Olarewaju on Thursday, June 6 in said Gov. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq did not sack workers engaged by the previous administration.

The governor's media aide explained that the category of workers not paid for the month of May were those employed two or three weeks ago, but backdated to November 2018.

He further stated that most of these workers have never been captured on the government’s payroll before and so couldn’t have been paid May salary.

READ ALSO: Tambuwal appoints ex finance commissioner as SSG

Part of the statement read: “Those appointments are called ‘sunset’ appointments (appointments made by a governor/administration on the eve of departure).

“Instead of summary sack, what the government resolved to do is to look at their qualifications and ascertain that they are qualified to be employed.

“In Ogun, Bauchi and some other states, ‘sunset’ employees were sacked with immediate effect.”

He wondered why they were not employed until a few weeks to the expiration of the former administration’s tenure.

Olarewaju reiterated that the “sunset workers have not been sacked; their employment status will be looked into and salaries reinstated for those above board.’’

Gombe state governor, Muhammad Inuwa Yahaya on Wednesday, June 5, said out of the N5.7 billion his predecessor, Ibrahim Dankwambo, received as Paris Club refund from the federal government in his last week in office, he left only N800 million in the account of the state government.

READ ALSO: Okorocha left N300billion liability for Ihedioha - PDP

Yahaya disclosed this to the Emir of Gombe, Alhaji Abubakar Shehu Abubakar III, who paid him Sallah homage at the Government House, Daily Trust reports.

He alleged that Dankwambo’s administration squandered the state’s resources and left the state in “deep financial crisis, huge debt, decayed health and education sector.”

Stay with Legit and keep track of the latest news in Nigeria!

Why Governors Steal? Rochas Okorocha of Imo State | Legit TV

Source: Legit Newspaper

Mailfire view pixel