- Portugal vs Switzerland UEFA Nations League encounter could go either ways at the end of the game
- Cristiano Ronaldo is expected to return to his country's starting line up since Russia 2018
- The 2016 European champions have a slight edge over their visitors having won four of their last seven matches
Portugal will be hoping to qualify for the UEFA Nations League final when they welcome Switzerland to the Estadio do Dragao on June 5.
The 2016 European champions struggled in their last two matches - having being held to draws by Poland and Italy.
But the return of Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo to the team could help them emerge victorious over their visitors after regulation period.
Swiss side on the other hand have enjoyed some level of success on their way to the last four stage as they stunned Belgium 5-2 in their last game.
And they will be counting on the contributions of both Xherdan Shaqiri and Granit Xhaka, who helped their respective Premier League clubs on the continent in the out-gone season.
Shaqiri won the Champions League title with Liverpool, while Xhaka gave his best in Arsenal's 4-1 defeat to Chelsea in the Europa League final.
Vladimir Petkovic, coach of the away team is confident their presence will help the team put up a good fight to react the final.
Meanwhile, below are a few stats as it regards the two countries according to Sky Sports:
- Portugal have won four of their last seven matches against Switzerland (D1 L2), one more than they'd registered in their first 15 meetings with the Swiss (W3 D4 L8).
- Switzerland have picked up two victories in their last three encounters with Portugal (L1), as many as they had won in their previous 10 combined (W2 D4 L4).
- Switzerland are winless in their last eight games played in Portugal (incl. Euro 2004), losing six and drawing twice since a 2-0 victory against Portugal in a World Cup 1970 qualifier in April 1969.
- Portugal have lost just one of their last 15 matches in all competitions (W5 D9 L1), losing 1-2 versus Uruguay at World Cup 2018 in the last 16.
- Portugal have kept a clean sheet in 15 of their last 30 matches across all competitions, losing just two times in the process (W16 D12 L2).
- Switzerland have lost just one of their last five matches (W3 D1 L1), scoring at least two goals in four of those games (12 scored) and failing to net in the other versus Qatar.
- Cristiano Ronaldo hasn't scored in any of his last four appearances for Portugal, since scoring versus Morocco at World Cup 2018. The Juventus striker has attempted 27 shots without scoring since that strike against Morocco and he last went five international games without a goal back in June 2012.
- Ronaldo has scored two goals in five previous semi-final appearances for Portugal (incl. World Cup, Euros, Confederations Cup), scoring versus Netherlands in Euro 2004 and against Wales in Euro 2016.
Legit.ng earlier reported that Cristiano Ronaldo dazzled in Portugal training session on Saturday, June 1, with the Selecao intensifying preparations for their Nations League campaign.
According to Daily Mail, the Juventus superstar showcased various ball skills to the amazement of onlookers, who could not resist capturing some of the thrilling skills with their mobile phones.
Joao Felix, who is reportedly on the radar of Man United and Manchester City, was also in the thick of the action alongside Wolves’ star Ruben Neves.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Lionel Messi is a game changer and can destroy - Moses Simon - Legit TV