- Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara state says his motorcade was not attacked by suspected bandits on Sunday, evening, June 2
- The spokesperson for the governor, Yusuf Idris, says Matawalle led the security operatives to launch an ‘operation’ against the bandits in their hideouts
- Eyewitnesses earlier said the governor's motorcade was attacked on Sunday, June, by suspected bandits
Governor Bello Matawalle of Zamfara state has denied that his motorcade was attacked by suspected bandits on Sunday, evening, June 2.
However, eyewitness had earlier said Matawalle's motorcade, was on Sunday, June 2, attacked by suspected bandits who reportedly opened fire on the motorcade.
Witnesses said the governor was on his way to condole with victims of a previous attack on a community in Gusau local government area of the state, Premium Times reports.
Legit.ng gathers that witnesses said Matawalle's convoy came under attack while he was enroute Lilo community to sympathise with victims of the attack on Saturday, June 1.
According to a source, the bandits took advantage of the bushy terrain and opened fire on the motorcade of the governor.
The source said that the governor’s security details quickly returned fire and were able to protect and evacuate their principal.
Explaining the security’s withdrawal from confronting the bandits, the source added: “Even if we stopped, we can’t cross the river because the bandits are in (a) better position to notice the movement of anyone confronting them while they are covered by the thick forest."
A statement was issued on Monday, June 3, by the state government, in which it was claimed that the governor and his team were the ones who went after the attackers and not the other way round.
According to the spokesperson for the governor, Yusuf Idris, Matawalle led the security operatives to launch an ‘operation’ against the bandits in their hideouts.
Idris said the team was able “to chase bandits at their camps during the unannounced visit to the area".
The statement added: “Despite this, the governor did not feel discouraged and moved ahead to Lilo village for the condolence visit."
The governor was quoted as saying: “As chief security officer of the state, l have to show a good example, I have no option than to lead security agencies for this operation. As a leader, I have to show commitments to my people toward addressing this problem."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that despite Nigerian military's actions against bandits ravaging Zamfara commuities, the criminal elements declared that airstrikes by the military cannot kill them because they get information ahead of attack against them.
The disclosure was made in a a tape recording the conversation of a bandit (yet to be identified) with an emir in Zamfara.
During the phone conversation, the bandit declared that bloodshed would continue as long as the Nigerian government continues to send in more troops to the state.
The bandit said: “God has already given you a position (as an emir) and when you talk, people listen. You have some poor masses in the bushes. This violence started happening in our state about six years ago or so.
“They killed my people; they killed my relations; they killed my wives, my children. They killed some of my cows. I ran away when they killed my people. Then I involved myself in the activities of these terrorist groups. Now, I have escaped and back in my community. Will you not accept me as a member of this community?”
The emir was quoted as replying thus: “Aka ne (yes, that is it).”
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Buhari should put an end to banditry, unrest in Zamfara - Nigerians cry | Legit TV