The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Friday, May 31, presented certificates of return to 24 members of the Zamfara state House of Assembly following the verdict of the Supreme Court.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that out of the 24 lawmakers who received the certificates, 23 were from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and one came under the platform of the National Rescue Movement (NRM).
The report said the certificates were issued to the lawmakers by the INEC Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in the state, Asma’u Maikudi.
The names of the lawmakers who received certificate and their constituencies were as follows:
1. Kaura Namoda North, Zaharadeen M Sada, PDP
2. Kaura Namoda South, Ana’s Sarkin Fada, PDP
3. Birnin Magaji, Nura Dahiru, PDP
4. Zurmi East, Salisu Usman, PDP
5. Zurmi West, Nasiru Mu’azu, PDP
6. Shinkafi, Muhammad G Ahmad, PDP
7. Tsafe East, Musa Bawa Musa, PDP
8. Tsafe West, Aliyu Na-Maigora, PDP
9. Gusau 1, Ibrahim Naida, PDP
10. Gusau 2, Shafi’u Dama, PDP
11. Bungudu East, Kabiru Magaji, PDP
12. Bungudu West, Nasiru Bello Lawal, PDP
13. Maru North, Yusuf Alhassan Muhammad, PDP
14. Maru Sourh, Kabiru Hashimu, NRM
15. Anka, Yusuf Muhammad, PDP
16. Talata Mafara North, Shamsudeen Hassan, PDP
17. Talata Mafara South, Aminu Yusuf Jangebe, PDP
18. Bakura, Tukur Jekada Birnin Tudu, PDP
19. Maradun I, Faruk Musa Dosara, PDP
20. Maradun II, Nasiru Atiku, PDP
21. Gummi I, AbdulNasir Ibrahim, PDP
22. Gummi II, Mansur Mohammed, PDP
23. Bukkuyum North, Ibrahim Mohammed Na’Idda, PDP
24. Bukkuyum South, Sani Dahiru,
Speaking at the event, Governor Bello Matawallen-Maradun, who was represented by his deputy, Alhaji Mahadi Aliyu-Gusau, described the occasion as a welcome development.
Matawallen-Maradun congratulated the lawmakers for the victory which he described as a ‘victory for democracy’ in Nigeria.
The governor urged the lawmakers to provide legislation for solutions to the various challenges of the state.
He pleaded for support from the new government with prayers to succeed in the task ahead to rescue the state from insecurity, kidnappings among other ills.
Hassan Sidi, who represented the REC, urged the lawmakers to carry out people-oriented activities to enhance the provision of dividends of democracy and attainment of democratic advancement in the country.
He thanked all those who contributed to the success of the 2019 general elections in the state.
Legit.ng earlier reported that eminent lawyer, Professor Itse Sagay (SAN), called on the All Progressives Congress (APC) to return to court concerning the Supreme Court's ruling in Zamfara and Rivers.
According to Professor Sagay, there is remedy in law for the APC on the Supreme Court’s voiding of its electoral victories in Zamfara.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.
2019 elections: Do you still trust INEC to conduct fair elections? - Nigerians speak| Legit TV