- A retired brigadier general of the Nigeria Army, Adamu Yusuf called President Buhari's attention to an alleged $2 billion loot
- Yusuf said he gave the information that led to the recovery of the amount in 2015 but four years after, the alleged money was yet to be returned to coffers of the government
- Yusuf, therefore, urged the president to initiate an open inquiry on the status of the alleged loot
A retired brigadier general of the Nigeria Army, Adamu Yusuf has reportedly called on President Muhammadu Buhari to initiate an open inquiry on the status of an alleged $2 billion loot recovered since 2015.
Daily Trust reports that Yusuf said he gave the information that led to the recovery of the amount.
The ex-general, however, said it was surprising that almost four years since the alleged money was recovered, it was yet to be returned to coffers of the government.
He said he filed a petition with the Special Presidential Investigation Panel for the Recovery of Public Property (SPIP) but nothing had come off all his efforts.
Reacting, the chairman of SPIP, Okoi Obono-Obla, confirmed receipt of the petition, but said investigation was still ongoing.
“We have invited and interviewed seven persons including the petitioner and witnesses he listed and they have all made statements,” he said, adding that investigation of “this magnitude takes time, but we are on it, we are still investigating.”
Giving background on the alleged recovery in a press conference in Abuja on Tuesday, May 28, Yusuf said he got information about the alleged loot from one Honourable Chuma Nzeribe.
He said he was then linked with the Chief of Staff to the president, Abba Kyari, who he said detailed the Department of State Services (DSS) led by it’s then director general, Lawal Daura, to carry out the operation on October 10, 2015.
He said since then nothing has been forthcoming on the recovery.
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that some group of concerned Nigerians demanded for a holistic probe into the activities of the Presidential Committee on Audit of Defence Equipment Procurement from 2007 to 2015.
The individuals also want all those found culpable brought to book. The convener of the group, Princess Ajibola, at a press conference in Abuja said the group is sad with the Committee of Public Safety, National Security and Intelligence of the House of Representatives for the way and manner it has handled the probe of the activities of the Presidential Committee on Audit of Defence Equipment Procurement (CADEP) from 2007-2015.
Ajibola said the group is desirous of the content of the probe by the House of Representatives to be made public in the overall interest of justice and fairness to all concerned.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Nigerians set 2nd term agenda for President Buhari | Legit TV