The Nigerian Army has denied media reports that 25 soldiers were killed in an attack coordinated by Boko Haram insurgents in Borno state.
The director, army public relations, Colonel Sagir Musa, made the denial in a text message sent to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Maiduguri on Sunday, May 26.
Legit.ng gathers that some reports claimed that 25 soldiers were killed on Saturday, May 25, when the insurgents attacked a military convoy evacuating civilians on Damboa-Biu road.
Musa dismissed the report as “rumour and fake”.
He said: “Contrary to rumour and fake news circulating, there was no attack on any of our troops’ locations at Sabon Gari or any other locations in Borno State.
“I have spoken with the Special Force Commander in Damboa and he confirmed to me that there was nothing of such in Damboa or any of his locations as at Friday) and Saturday."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that a London-based human rights group, Global Amnesty Watch, called on the United Nations and United States of America to join forces with Nigeria to confront terrorism in West Africa.
The rights group said terrorism is a global threat that needs proactive measures and the best available way is by launching a global coalition.
In a statement signed by John Tom Lever, GAW's head of African Regional Affairs, the group said while the exploits of the Nigerian Army is leading the way in the sub-region, more can be done to totally shut out activities of the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP).
Also commending the Nigerian Government in the fight against terrorism in northeast region of Nigeria, the group said the resurgence of ISWAP around Lake Chad means continuing conflict for Nigeria and neighboring states.
It also said that majority of civilians are often caught in the crossfire between the terrorists and the troops.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Obasanjo bombs Buhari again, says FG is empowering Boko Haram | Legit TV