Sometimes parents are so impatient: they want their child to sit well without support, start walking and talking. However, do not rush things: everything has its time. Some parents begin to worry if their baby does not begin to do something within the prescribed period. So it is important to know when do babies crawl.
From the first minutes of life, a newborn begins to learn about the world around them. He or she examines everything around, listens, touches and licks anything they can reach.
When do babies crawl?
Crawling is an essential stage in the development of a child when a baby can already move independently and explore the world. It develops both the body and mind. Therefore, as soon as a child turns 5 months old, parents begin to look forward to this stage.
We will consider the most frequently asked questions by young parents who want to know when do babies crawl.
When do babies start crawling?
The period of active cognitive activity begins slightly earlier than when children learn to walk. Therefore, to reach a shiny toy or their mother's mobile phone, a baby tries to move forward in other ways available to him or her.
At first, a baby starts to get good at rolling on the side and tummy. Then he or she can push themselves with the foot or hand, turn in the other direction, move forward or backwards. When a baby finally understands and masters the new abilities, he or she will learn to crawl in the direction they need.
Usually, the first attempts to crawl are observed from 5 months. By the age of 7 months, the most active and persistent kids can crawl over fairly long distances. However, it is hard to precisely answer the question, "What age do babies crawl?" since all babies are different and so is their development.
As we already said, it becomes interesting for the baby to roll from the back to the tummy and look at everything around. When he or she has a motivation (perhaps, a toy lying nearby), the baby begins to move in the right direction.
On what criteria does this milestone depend?
The period depends on several criteria:
- The degree of musculoskeletal system development. The faster the muscles of the arms and back become stronger, the more confident a child will be, hence more mobile.
- The degree of development of the nervous system. Comprehension of the principle of movement is the result of the hard work of the brain. By this moment, the neural connections, responsible for the coordination of movements, should be formed, and a sense of space and distance should also be developed.
- Features of development. Some kids prefer tactile sensations, and then they start to crawl. Others immediately want to see an object and only then try to touch it. Besides, it is believed that the period when girls start to crawl comes a little earlier than the same in boys. It is also established that premature babies do this a little later when they are 10 months old.
READ ALSO: Unique baby shower cake ideas
- Body type. Usually, roly-poly toddlers take longer to start crawling
- Stimulation. Creating favourable conditions for the formation of the ability to crawl may contribute to the earlier development of this skill.
Thus, it is impossible to predict when a baby will learn to crawl accurately.
Are there ways or stages of crawling?
A toddler chooses the way to move which is the most comfortable for them. There are three ways of crawling:
- commando (on the tummy)
- classic (in a crouching manner)
- crab (on hands and knees)
For each child, these stages can take place in different ways: perhaps starting with the commando style, or the classic or crab style.
Many toddlers start crawling on their tummies. Some children crawl away in the backward direction, and others move on their hands and knees.
Crawling can begin like this: a child putting both hands forward, and then with a sharp movement, pushing legs towards them. Such way of moving can be compared to frog jumping. Other children immediately begin to get on their hands and knees. All these attempts illustrate when do babies start crawling.
The most difficult is type is classic crawling, when simultaneously with the right hand, the left foot is pulled forward, after which the foot and hand are replaced harmoniously.
Crawling is a natural reflex, which is present in the life of children from birth, but diminishes with time. Therefore, you do not need to teach your toddler to crawl. It is enough to create all the necessary conditions for him or her and just observe the behaviour of your baby only slightly directing the actions.
Refusal to crawl: is there any reason to be worried?
The ability to crawl is essential for the development of a baby. Get to the bottom of why a child does not want to crawl, considering that crawling as a transitional stage between sitting and walking.
After all, the first signs of independence are formed when a baby begins to crawl, and she or he has more freedom and opportunities.
The ability to crawl affects the development of the brain hemispheres, a strong relationship is established between them, and one of them is not dominant over the other. It is believed that children who learn to crawl have creative potential. The ability to crawl also has a positive effect on the timely development of speech.
Therefore, if a baby has no desire to crawl at the age of 8 months, it is advisable to find the cause of this behaviour and try to correct the situation (it must be remembered that the time when the boys begin to crawl may come a little later).
Several factors can cause reluctance to crawl:
- Health problems. There may be muscle weakness, abnormalities in the development of the musculoskeletal and nervous systems.
- Temperament. Some infants like to watch rather than try to reach and touch something. These babies do not express much interest in this activity.
- Being in a closed space. Spending most of the time in a crib, a baby simply does not understand that outside, there is a big and interesting world that he or she can explore.
- A child is not allowed to lie on the tummy. It is not necessary to roll a child on the belly on purpose, but it is okay to stimulate such activity by any means.
- Weight. Even roly-poly toddlers will try to move in all possible ways. Most often, a cherubic child does not crawl on hands and knees.
- No need to do it. Too diligent parents take care of their child so much that they rush to help him or her in any situation. A baby simply does not need to try to get something, because his or her mother immediately gives everything that they are interested in.
In most cases, the reason for the refusal to crawl is not very serious, and the problem can be solved. The main thing is to know how to teach a child to crawl and have some patience.
Crawling has a beneficial effect on the development of a child: it strengthens motility and affects the formation of speech and brain function. It also trains perseverance, dedication and endurance. Therefore, parents should know when do babies crawl and be involved in this process.
READ ALSO: One year birthday cake ideas for a baby